New Construction Windows??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eb77eb77

New Construction Windows??

#1 Post by eb77eb77 »

Can anyone here help me with, or direct me to a forum that can help me with New Construction Vinyl Windows??
I will be more detailed when I get a response as not to waste too much effort typing away about my request...
ty

HomeSealed

Re: New Construction Windows??

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

You are in the right place eb, ask away!

eb77eb77

#3 Post by eb77eb77 »

Awesome!!
Building a new home, and my head is swimming with all the window information, specs, opinions, and options out there.
I am acting as my own GC and have been very clear to my suppliers that I am not interested in a typical, cheap builders grade window. I suffered those consequences in a past home build. What I mean by cheap builders grade, is obviously not clear glass, but I also want good construction.
Just when I think I might have found a good window based on reps information, website, and reviews...I am then extremely disappointed when in person the windows look cheaply manufactured even though the NFRC numbers look ok...for instance, Harry G Barre Windows. The seams on these windows looked like someone had used a razor blade to cut away the excess vinyl where they'd been fused.
I need some advice. I know Energy Star suggest keeping the SHGC no higher than .25, and the U Factor no higher than .30 for Central Oklahoma, where we are building.
I need a few good suggestions for reasonably priced windows, but more importantly good manufacturing and energy efficiency. We have NO trees and live on a prairie.
I have researched NT Windows Contractor Series, Krestmark 200/275 (suggested by lumber supplier), Thermal Windows Vinyl, Millguard, Earthwise, Jeld Wen, etc... I hear Krestmark is cheaply made, but their numbers...shgc .22, uv .29, and vt .58 look great! As opposed to NT Windows who get decent reviews but numbers for shgc of .30 are considerably higher.
So, please help.
I want to make a wise investment.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The SHGC number you have for NT windows is wrong. They use Cardinal's 366 glass as their standard offering and that will put the SHGC in the .19 - .21 range depending upon grids, size, etc... The U-Value will be .30 perhaps. They would be a good choice, as would Don Young 5200 series single hungs or 5400 series double hungs.

Krestmark and Jeld-Wen aren't in the same league with either NT or DY. Milgard is a decent window and I'm not familiar at all with Earthwise, TWV, or Harry G Barre.

eb77eb77

#5 Post by eb77eb77 »

Randy,
Thank you so much for your input.
The number I provided for NT Window's SHGC of .30 was actually given to me over the phone from the NT manufacturing rep, not the suppliers rep, but basically the horse's mouth. Perhaps they use a different glass for the Contractor Series (NT110)??
I was going to call him about that tomorrow and enquire as to why that number is higher than the Energy Star recommendations for my area.

I have not heard of the Don Young windows, but will look in to them.

Thank you again for your input.

eb77eb77

#6 Post by eb77eb77 »

Great news for me!!
Randy was correct, you know your stuff!
The NT Rep said he got the SHGC and the UV backwards, SHGC = .19 and UV = .30
Besides the reps patience with me, I even called NT Windows this morning and their inside customer support team spent considerable time making sure I had the information I needed to make an informed decision. As far as I'm concerned, they went above and beyond.
I'm sold!!
Thanks for your guidance.
EB

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Randy is the man when it comes to that region! Great that you were able to get that cleared up. :D

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Nobody better in Texas than Randy.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

Glad I could help EB. Best wishes with your project.