Sunrise window install question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
COchill

Sunrise window install question

#1 Post by COchill »

Long (ish) time reader - first time posting :wink:

Thanks to the wealth of information on here I finally nailed it down to Sunrise windows. Well, the Vanguard to be exact. 16 windows in total - mostly sliders - 4 double hung.

My neighbor is a GC and will be able to get the windows but usually deals with another manufacturer, and while he does replacement windows, he mostly installs at new construction sites. The final quote process has been less then stellar so far; apparently his supplier can't give him straight answers on some of the options.

Long story short - I went down to the local builder supply the other day and left maybe more confused as when I entered. The confusion is with the way the windows would be secured to the frame. Maybe I make this more complicated as is really is, but here it goes:

I have NO casing or molding on the interior. The sides and the top are drywall and the window stool is a solid material; not marple, but some type of solid hard smooth material. On the exterior the window is trimmed with 1x4's which but up to the siding; meaning the siding is NOT right up to the window.

GC said he would have to cut the drywall back an inch or so since the new frame is wider than what I have now. Got it, and I assume he also meant the stool then, but that's neither here nor there.

When I went to the building supply store, the manager took me in the back and showed me some examples. And here is where I am confused:
There were Full Replacement Windows which were just the box (for a lack of better words) and then there were some with the nailing flange already on them. Now, mind you, all those were factory wrapped and shipped like this from Sunrise.

I went onto the Sunrise website and in the installation instructions they are talking about "snap on nailing fins" if applicable.

Here are my questions:
1. Do Vinyl Full Replacement Windows only come with the "snap in" nailing flange and what I saw might have been metal/fiberglass ones?
2. Since I do have the freedom of using a nailing fin, would it be better to use one?
3. If so, would it be better to remove the inside drywall from the studs so that either fiberglass or foam could be used if there is a gap.
3. Not completely sure how the ones without the fin would be installed. I assume screws would have to go through the window frame into the studs to make it secure? But then I have a screw in the frame of my new windows, right?
4. And if the above; he could get away with cutting back the drywall (and stool) and the fiberglass/foam (if needed) could be done from the exterior. Then apply silicone around the window before putting the 1x4 trim back on the outside? How watertight is this?

Ugh ... sorry about the ranting, but I want to have my ducks in a row before he comes back with the quote and his method for installation.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise window install question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Vinyl windows will have the option of either a clip in flange or an integral unit if the window is used more often as new construction. Both are fine when used properly.

2. In this case (i.e. with the 1x4 trim boards) it is much easier than other install types and I would specify this if you can.

3. Yes. They are screwed through the jamb and into the wall framing.

4. When done properly, extremely.