Window Shopping in Oklahoma City

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
argulator

Window Shopping in Oklahoma City

#1 Post by argulator »

Just for grins to be a post hog and as a cathartic release, thought I'd share my experience with dealers so far trying to find replacement windows.

Kudos to everyone here helping to inform people, but it has to be a lot easier to know nothing and get your windows bought. I think I may know too much about U-factors, etc. etc. etc.. On my wishlist would be a company with a range of different types of products willing to discuss the strengths/weaknesses of each and quotes for those you're interested in. What I've found is dealers pushing a single brand or type of window. Sunrise causes some of these problems due to their branding approach with the different lines. My guess is that they would sell alot more Restorations windows if someone could get 3 quotes from different dealers selling all of the Sunrise Lines instead of a single dealer for Restorations, a single dealer for V-Class and the others doing the base line.

So far, I have quotes ranging from 9000 to 33000 dollars. Is that a record?

Contractor 1 - Not much here cause he's a base Sunrise dealer-which I wasn't interested in, but agreed to work with Soft-Lite to get me a quote since they don't have a dealer her. Chatted with him a few minutes about his company and installs, and then he measured and left. Total time 20 minutes. He sent me a Sunrise quote a couple days later for grins and is still working with Soft-Lite to get that quote finished.

Contractor 2 - the only salesman that wore a tie, which I found odd. Felt like I was being sold a timeshare and got the full sales pitch even after I told him I was sold on the window and only needed info on his company-he was in my house over 2 hours. Estimated me saving $21,000 on energy bills over the next 8 years. I started drinking whiskey an hour and half in. He insisted on quoting 9 windows at a time because they were having a buy 7 get 2 free "sale" and they could come do the rest later. Offered 2000.00 off the price for the nine if bought on the spot. Finally pushed him to give me a quote for the whole job, and after much scribbling on a legal pad (without a calculator!) he put a number on the back of his card. You can guess which one.

Contractor 3. Much better though I was probably a little short with him after my previous experience. I let him do the heat lamp demo even though I told him I didn't need it. He has installed these windows and saved 70% on his heating/cooling costs. Impressive. I can't even figure out what my heating/cooling costs are! Pretty good knowledge about ratings, etc. Though, like all of the dealers so far, he didn't know anything about the NFRC/AAMA databases and how to get data for the windows he was selling-he did provide it later and we've been working to get the quote finished.

Contractor 4. This gentleman was from a company whose website offers all types and different brands but recommends an NT vinyl for Oklahoma. I expressed an interest in Aluminum and he spent the next 15-20 minutes selling (arguing) the strengths of vinyl and weaknesses of aluminum. During this, I learned Vinyl is better because Aluminum expands and contracts too much, causing the seals to leak. This is why they don't put Argon gas in Al. Okay. Finally came clean that his company had merged with Window World and wanted to know if I was interested in his window. I said sure, which was a mistake on my part. After showing the window I asked about the performance ratings, which weren't in the brochures. He couldn't provide them, even after calling someone. He asked again about my interest and I told him I couldn't really say without knowing the numbers. He kept reiterating that the windows were NFRC "certified" and each window would have different ratings on the label for the different sizes. He has these windows in his house and his electricity bill has gone from $400 to $200 dollars. He left without measuring and said he would get back in touch with me the next day with the numbers. A couple of notable things I remember-he told me he'd never had a customer like me and that I was the type of customer that someone would bid a high price to just so they didn't have to deal with me. :D I guess he was right, I haven't heard from him since.

Contractor 5 - By far the best experience. Very professional salesman-the only one to stress (and show with video clips) how they install. Only company so far offering foam insulation. Was very quick in the house, demoing the window and passing the heat-lamp stuff at my request. Another yellow pad scribble (with calculator!) estimate for the super-cheapo vinyl and an aluminum product. I've asked him to quote me a better Don Young mid-grade vinyl.

I wished I could have done this with 3 or 4 visits, but it hasn't happened.

Any board pros want to have some glass drop-shipped to my porch and come do an install?

When I get the quotes to a point for discussion, I'll post them up for feedback.
Ralph

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Shopping in Oklahoma City

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ralph,

Keep the faith my friend. At least you know what you want and are on the right track.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window Shopping in Oklahoma City

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The approach you would like is exactly how we do it.
We will discuss and quote multiple mfg and also 2 major install methods. For most except someone like you it can be total overload. We are as quick as the home owner wants us to be 30 minutes or two hours, but that is your choice based on how much info you want.
We really do no have a close. We figure if we did our job right you will think then decide what course of action is best for you.
I guess I am known as the Window Nerd for a reason... can you imagine a nerd forcing you to do anything?