Window Options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
argulator

Window Options

#1 Post by argulator »

I've received some quotes and will listen to any feedback you all care to provide.

Location-Oklahoma City. FWIW, my cooling costs have run around $1400/year over the last couple of years and heating around $500. Heating includes occasional heating of my un-insulated garage.

Single Level Brick House, Drywall returns, white/white for 26 windows/17 Openings:
-Twin 70x58 - 4 23x58 w/Quarter Circle Top
-Twin 58x81 - 2 49x81 w/Half Circle Top
-Twin 62x81 - 3 35x58
- 2 42x81 - 1 31x81
- 1 Picture 36x15 - 1 Ellipse Picture 23x33

All the contractors are similar in terms of BBB ratings, AL feedback, etc., which isn't much.
Performance ratings are pretty much equivalent except as noted below.

Sunrise Restorations - $33,168
Spray Foam Installation

Base Sunrise Single Hung - $16,354.00. Not really considering this, just putting it in for comparison. Caulk Only

Soft-Lite Imperial LS - $16,950.75
Caulk Only

Sunrise V-Class (Vanguard equivalent without opti-vue screen) - $17,774.48
Caulk Only

Don Young Thermal Broken Aluminum - $11,600,
366 glass, XL Edge Spacer. This has U-Factor of .42 vs .28ish for others. Spray foam insulation.

Don Young 5200 Series Vinyl - $11,400
Full Frame Reinforcement, 366 glass, XL Edge Spacer. This has AL rating of .17 vs .02-.05 for others. Spray Foam insulation.

-Since they install with foam, is the Restorations worth $16,217 more than the Soft-Lite...? :lol:

I'm having a hard time considering anything but the Don Young offerings. The Don Young contractor was the only one to stress the importance of installing with insulation, their president is installation-master certified. I'm guessing that a good install of the DY vinyl might end up as tight as a caulk/walk with one of the others. But geez, the numbers are so far apart it looks like they're low-balling me. I haven't checked anyone's references yet.

I could afford any of these, and have willingly up-spent on cars, grills, espresso machines, appliances, etc., and would love to pay a little more for what is recognized as the best. But I can't see the benefit here, given what I think will be a better install with DY.

The soft-lite appears to me the best of the others. The only issue with it is that the contractor hasn't used soft-lite in the past.

Any/all comments appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window Options

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As far as I can tell the SL Imp. LS is the best choice. Make sure the unit at least has upgraded to stainless steel spacer.
I would not worry that he has never used SL before. The window is easy to work with as it is one of the better constructed windows on the market.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Soft-Lite Imperial LS is very installer friendly. Very solid window.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

No doubt the SL is the best made window of the bunch, however, for that price spread the Don Young 5200 with full sash reinforcement is a good alternative - especially with the superior installation method.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I wondered about bringing up the foam issue. Also the SL bidder could do foam.
But would either seal the air gap between the brick and frame.
Randy: do you do backer rod and then foam?

randy

#6 Post by randy »

No, we apply foam in multiple stages.

argulator

#7 Post by argulator »

The Sunrise dealer also was told by the Sunrise rep----"They offer the fiberglass reinforcement piece in all of the sash panels, top, bottom and sides for about $24 per window."

From studying at the Randy school of windows, I've learned that the more reinforcement the better for large sizes/hot weather/narrow frames. But I've never heard of that option for the Sunrise.

argulator

#8 Post by argulator »

Post removed-my mistake.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Sunrise Vanguard and Restorations reinforce ALL 4 sides of their sash? Both top and bottom sash? Thats news to me.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Yeah, I don't think that's correct either. I've only heard of the lock and keeper rails being reinforced.

argulator

#11 Post by argulator »

Time for an update----after much confusion about pricing for Don Young and a further discount on Soft-Lite, I ended up going with the Soft Lite Imperial LS.

Now I've found out that window receiving is just as frustrating as window shopping..... :cry:

After waiting 7 weeks for delivery, the 12 units that should all be oriels are not. They're all around 82" tall. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem, except that I really like the look of the oriels, and this:
I don't think that configuration is going to look too hot without the sashes lined up. No grids on the new ones either.

According to the contractor, he ordered oriels, and told me that the Soft-Lite rep told him they sent the "non-oriel" (not sure what that's called...) because the top sashes would be too heavy. Kind of disappointing since I had texted that very picture to the Soft-Lite rep before ordering and he replied "no problem".

They are making suggestions like oriels aren't really needed on the back of the house-true enough. Or, I could make those smaller windows above picture windows, etc. etc. I don't think I like where this is headed. I have a feeling I'm going to be unhappy with both the process of shopping for new windows and the outcome.

randy

#12 Post by randy »

Ah yes, one of the aggravating limitations from Soft-lite. They can be difficult to deal with for sure. I'd stick with 60/40 oriels as they are standard to the neighborhood (and to Texas for that matter). You might ask them if they'll make the oriels with a fixed top sash (assuming you don't care to lower the upper sash).

argulator

#13 Post by argulator »

Soft Lite has said no way on making the large oriels (47X83) even with a locked top sash. I'm still waiting on the dealer to suggest an option that doesn't involve all of the non-oriels that I don't really want. I offered to accept them all as is for a 40% discount, but he declined :D . Really, I'm glad, cause I would just be torqued looking at those windows. I did mention to him some of the other windows he could get that I might be interested in, but he doesn't sound very interested. I also offered that if they can get oriels on all the other windows, they could get a picture window to extend that half-round down to where the window below it is only 60" tall and could get by without an oriel. My guess is that they'll pass given that they would still have to rebuild all the others into oriels.

I'd like to give them an opportunity to resolve this without Lawyers involved but don't know what I should expect. My wife is not going to be happy if I have both some Soft Lites (already installed) and some other brand. If we go to a window other than soft lite, should I expect that they replace the already installed soft lites on their nickel? Or, try to negotiate some number for what they've already done and go find a different dealer? What would your expectations be as a dealer?

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If I ordered it correctly, which includes checking the confirmation for errors then I would expect them made correctly.
If your contract states that the units will be the same configuration and specifically says oriels then that is what you should get.
I am not sure but it seems both regional style and code come into play with the oriels in TX. The use of oriels often keeps the need for safety glazing less required as they may not exceed the 9sq ft part of the code.

theWindowNERD

argulator

#15 Post by argulator »

Every time I think I can get something worked out on these windows I learn otherwise. The dealer now insists that Soft-Lite can't make any double hung with a top sash that's more than 43" long (tall). Even after asking about fixing the top sash, etc. etc. That sure rules out oriels for all of my 83" tall windows. Does this sound right to you all?