Replacement of Windows - Which Window to Choose

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
flobonaparte

Replacement of Windows - Which Window to Choose

#1 Post by flobonaparte »

I live in Maryland and I have quotes from some companies to replace my 10 windows with Double Hung Windows. I am thinking of buying the triple pane windows if they are better and will ask for quotes from the other two vendors who or that but I am not sure which window to choose.

10 windows for BFRich Cabernet Series Double Hung for $6960

10 Simonton 5500 Double Hung Windows for $5,944

10 VISTA Seal & Smart Insulated Glass System, Triple Pane, TRIAD 7 for $3659

10 Soft-Lite Imperial LS for Triple Pane is $6226.

Thank you in advance and hope to get a reply very soon.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement of Windows - Which Window to Choose

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

When you have 3 numbers that are pretty consistent and 1 that is an outlier, that should probably tell you something about that outcast.

Of the 3 that are in the same range, the Imperial LS is the best of that group.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Im not familiar with BFRich but i would definitely say the soft lite imperial is the best by far out of all the others and very reasonably priced.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

All things being equal installation wise, the Imperial LS wins hands down. I do prefer to option out the Imperial LS with either stainless Intercept of Super Spacer regarding the spacer. The Cabernet by BF Rich is a nice window with standard Duralite glazing and lots of bells and whistles, but it still irrigates water drainage through the sill and has stupid exterior drain/weep covers. It's a solid robust window, yet somewhat dated in appearance.

The Imperial LS is the newest design of the bunch as well being about 11-years on the market now. The 5500 and Panorama are very similar in design, appearance, features, options, and performance. They have about the easiest sashes in the industry to raise up and down which is very nice, however it is mainly due to less weatherstripping points of contact or drag and looser manufacturing tolerances. These windows also weep incidental water through the sill.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No contest. The SL Imp. LS is the best.

flobonaparte

#6 Post by flobonaparte »

I really appreciate all your comments and will definitely go with the Softlite. I will be buying from BGE Home improvement. The sales man quoted me $5704 for double hung also. Do I need the double or triple? Is there much difference in these two windows in this area? I don't mind spending the extra if the triple will make a difference.

The brochure I have lists the following:
Double-Pane with Stainless Steel Intercept = U-0.28, S-0.28, V-0.51, C-57
Double-Pane with Super Spacer = U-0.27, S-0.28, V-0.51, C-59
Ultra-S Glass TM Triple Pane with Super Spacer = U-0.20, S-0.24, V-0.40, C69
Ultimate Glass TM Triple with Super Spacer = U-0.17, S-0.24, V-0.40, C73

The Super Spacers are suppose to be metal free. The grids will be contoured. Please advice on what questions to ask about the installation as far as filling gaps, etc.

Simonton 9800 and Imperial LS which one is better in either double or triple pane?

I have to replace my roof also but I am sure if you help with that but Certainteed vs. Timberline HD shingles which one is the best? I have two installers - Capitol improvements, LL C in Annapolis, MD will install either one on my 15sq ft roof for $7800 including replacing my gutters to a 6" gutter and 3x4 down spouts.
The other BRAXX Roofing will install Timerline HD with same size gutters and down spouts for $9037.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

For your region I'd stick with double and put the money towards the roof, attic insulation, or doors. I do like to upgrade to Super Spacer over regular tin plated intercept. If your dealer's agreement with Soft-Lite has them already with stainless Intercept I'd probably just stick with that.

One of my old factory reps with Sunrise Windows is heading up BGE these days if I have the right company. He is a real straight forward guy and had talked to me about Soft-Lite a couple of years ago when they upgraded their window offerings from Alside.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ryan is running the shop there still Mike. Good guy and solid character person.

Which Certainteed shingle is being quoted?

As Mike says, if you are changing the windows for energy savings alone, that money is probably better spent other spots. I like triple pane if the upgrade cost is reasonable.

patgilm

#9 Post by patgilm »

Good to know that BGE is good. After getting 21 Imperial LS windows installed two weeks ago I decided to get the remaining 10 done and called BGE Friday and they gave me a great quote so I am going to use them this time around.

flobonaparte

#10 Post by flobonaparte »

CertainTeed Swiftstart is the name of the shingle.

If there are better windows please give me the names. Is the Simonton 9800 a good window? I also had a chance to look at Harmony Series Slocomb. Can you shed some light on that please.
I want a window that is energy efficient and will keep the heat and cold air out.

CertainTeed Swiftstart is what I was offered. My upstairs rooms get very hot and I am asking the contractors to put a solar fan when they install the new roof. One contractor said I wouldn't need it when a ridge vent is put on the ceiling something my current does not have. Shoul I get the solar fan or will the ridge vent do the trick.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The only window that I think is better is the Okna 800DX.

A ridge vent works great as long as there is air intake at the eaves, If the eaves are not fully ventilated then you will not get complete system.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

The "swiftstart" is the starter shingle and not the actual shingle they are proposing.

Without knowing anything about the roof, its tough to tell if they know what they are talking about. The attic fan recommendation is a big red flag though because most that are installed, are improperly specified.

patgilm

#13 Post by patgilm »

Thanks to this board for the recommendation on BGE for windows. I just completed my order for 10 new Imperial LS windows this morning.

As for roofing, I just had GAF Timberline HD architectural shingles installed a couple months ago. I also considered the Certainteed Landmark shingles as it seems that a lot of people prefer Certainteed over GAF. My installer uses both and installs both for the same price but prefers GAF so I went with them. I also had the GAF Snow Country ridge vent installed which is similar to Certainteed's ridge vent. I am in Crofton which is close to Annapolis and used LKC construction (GAF certified) but also had good dealings with Chesapeake Roofing (Certainteed certified). My roof was 26 squares and was between $8-$9K without new gutters.

flobonaparte

#14 Post by flobonaparte »

Very good info. I want to focus on my roof as I want to get it done soon because of leak. I have two contractors to choose from. The cost to replace my roof 15 squares is $7800 including 6" gutters, down spout and guard by Capitol Improvements, LLC in Annapolis, MD. The other contractor BRAXX Roofing for same thing is $8329. Both will be using Timberline HD architectual Shingles but one will use the Invisible Pipe Flashing and the other aluminum which he will paint to match the shingles. BRAXX is naming me as a Certificate Holder on his Workmens Comp COI. I had two references who used Capitol - one a homeowner and the other a president of a HOA. Capitol replaced roofing on 31 duplexes and they both gave him excellent rating in all areas. I did not see sample of the slate or underlayment he will use but I believe he will use the same thing everyone is using.
Which of the two Flashings is best for this job? Also BRAXX will use E-Z Lock gutter screen but Capitol is using an aluminum screen which has small round holes which he think is better than all the other screens. He showed me about 5 different screens that show the damage over time I will find the name for it. Which screen is best to use on gutters?

flobonaparte

#15 Post by flobonaparte »

I just received a quote from American Energy Master, Inc in College Park, MD to replace 10 double hung windows/contoured grids with OKNA Environ-Star 800 Deluxe for $6,183.
BGE Home Improvements in MD quote for Soft-Lite Imperial LS Ultra-S Glass Triple Pane with Super Spacer for $5,704.

Please advise which window is best in all areas of what a good window should have/be. A quick response will be appreciated since I understand both windows are on some special sale for couple days.