Replacement of Windows - Which Window to Choose

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement of Windows - Which Window to Choose

#16 Post by masterext »

I guess evaluate each company by seeing whether there is a pattern with BBB compaints, thats a good way to start.
I would also highly recommend calling Windows on Washington. I am quite certain they would serve your area. They have done work in your neck of the woods before. I do know they are a solid outfit and they offer the okna 800 as well.

TC900

#17 Post by TC900 »

Bge soft lite imperial ls triple pane with super spacer for $570 each is unbeatable value

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

Those are both very good to excellent windows, and frankly both prices are on the lower side. Possible that it is a great deal. That said, I'd definitely do some vetting of any installation company that you are considering. Check BBB for complaints, Angie's list, look at some past jobs, etc. Also talk to them about installation specifics, make sure that the proposal that you are given is very detailed and professional, etc... Most consumers focus primarily on the best product at the best price, but then most complaints after the fact are poor installation, poor communication, poor service, etc... Just something to think about.

TC900

#19 Post by TC900 »

HomeSealed wrote:Those are both very good to excellent windows, and frankly both prices are on the lower side. Possible that it is a great deal. That said, I'd definitely do some vetting of any installation company that you are considering. Check BBB for complaints, Angie's list, look at some past jobs, etc. Also talk to them about installation specifics, make sure that the proposal that you are given is very detailed and professional, etc... Most consumers focus primarily on the best product at the best price, but then most complaints after the fact are poor installation, poor communication, poor service, etc... Just something to think about.
High quality product
High quality service/installation
The lowest price
You can never find all three from one company. Quality costs no matter where you get it from.
Bge will do just fine. Good luck with the project!

Delaware Mike

#20 Post by Delaware Mike »

I agree. :D

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

TC900 wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:Those are both very good to excellent windows, and frankly both prices are on the lower side. Possible that it is a great deal. That said, I'd definitely do some vetting of any installation company that you are considering. Check BBB for complaints, Angie's list, look at some past jobs, etc. Also talk to them about installation specifics, make sure that the proposal that you are given is very detailed and professional, etc... Most consumers focus primarily on the best product at the best price, but then most complaints after the fact are poor installation, poor communication, poor service, etc... Just something to think about.
High quality product
The lowest price
You can never find all three from one company. Quality costs no matter where you get it from.
I agree TC. Did I say something that would make you think otherwise? I referenced the fact that the pricing seemed low, and also that the OP should also do a thorough vetting of the installation and installation company as those are very important and often overlooked.... Not sure if the fact that you quoted my comment was in agreement or taking issue.

TC900

#22 Post by TC900 »

HomeSealed wrote:
TC900 wrote:
High quality product
The lowest price
I agree TC. Did I say something that would make you think otherwise? I referenced the fact that the pricing seemed low, and also that the OP should also do a thorough vetting of the installation and installation company as those are very important and often overlooked.... Not sure if the fact that you quoted my comment was in agreement or taking issue.
No I agree. Great advice

patgilm

#23 Post by patgilm »

HomeSealed wrote:
TC900 wrote:
High quality product
The lowest price

I used Window Nation for the first half of the windows I replaced and BGE for the second half I replaced a couple weeks ago. Both don't use their own installers and both use the exact same installers which happen to be subcontractors trained by Softlite. When you schedule the install someone from Softlite in Ohio actually schedules it. Same with warranty work. I had a minor caulking issue with the first set of windows and a non-square screen on one of my sliders and the same guy came out to my house to fix them even though each window was bought from a different company. I think the install should be fine or Softlite themselves will have to deal with it.

flobonaparte

#24 Post by flobonaparte »

I will call Windows on Washington to come and give me an estimate. I am interested in very good installation as well as quality. For you to refer me to them means you trust them and know they do a good job. Today I will be looking at both the OKNA and Soft-Lite Imperial LS side by side. I will keep you all posted on my findings. I understand the triple pane glass makes visibility darker.

flobonaparte

#25 Post by flobonaparte »

HomeSealed, which window do you think is good and which is excellent and what do you like best of the two?

flobonaparte

#26 Post by flobonaparte »

I got to see both windows and both are solid high quality windows. I looked at the triple pane glass which looked a bit darker than the double. I understand the OKNA gives more light, less air infiltration and better condensation resistance. Also has foam wrapping around and sliding windows is smoothier and easy to operate than the Imperial LS and I realized that when I tried it. I like both windows and the OKNA Enviro-Star 800 Super Deluxe foam filled foam wrapped all welded white vinyl framed double hung with heat seal super system triple pane etc., the outside frames to be capped in white vinyl coated aluminum and brushed nickel locks and hardware for 10 Windows = $6398. The Imperial triple pane is $5704 from BGE. Please help me make a decision since you all know more about these windows. Also BGE is giving me 15yrs installation warranty whereas this company is giving me 10 yrs. I realized that the Imperial LS triple pane has clear glass for all 3 glasses but the OKNA third glass sample that was showed to me was a bit darker. They will all have colonial contoured grids. Is the frames to be capped in white vinyl coated aluminum good?
A prompt response will be much appreciated. Thank you all very much for your extensive knowledge and experience in this area.

One thing I notice is that the person selling the OKNA sees a big potential in this neighborhood whereby he can get a lot of business if my neighbors sees my window and I think that is one of the reasons he is giving me a break in the price.

TC900

#27 Post by TC900 »

flobonaparte wrote:I got to see both windows and both are solid high quality windows. I looked at the triple pane glass which looked a bit darker than the double. I understand the OKNA gives more light, less air infiltration and better condensation resistance. Also has foam wrapping around and sliding windows is smoothier and easy to operate than the Imperial LS and I realized that when I tried it. I like both windows and the OKNA Enviro-Star 800 Super Deluxe foam filled foam wrapped all welded white vinyl framed double hung with heat seal super system triple pane etc., the outside frames to be capped in white vinyl coated aluminum and brushed nickel locks and hardware for 10 Windows = $6398. The Imperial triple pane is $5704 from BGE. Please help me make a decision since you all know more about these windows. Also BGE is giving me 15yrs installation warranty whereas this company is giving me 10 yrs. I realized that the Imperial LS triple pane has clear glass for all 3 glasses but the OKNA third glass sample that was showed to me was a bit darker. They will all have colonial contoured grids. Is the frames to be capped in white vinyl coated aluminum good?
A prompt response will be much appreciated. Thank you all very much for your extensive knowledge and experience in this area.

One thing I notice is that the person selling the OKNA sees a big potential in this neighborhood whereby he can get a lot of business if my neighbors sees my window and I think that is one of the reasons he is giving me a break in the price.

My opinion BGE. 5 years extra installation guarantee..air infiltration .02 compared to .01 pretty much equal. Plus you can save $700. That being said the Okna deal is very nice you can't really be disappointed either way you go.

Windows on Washington

#28 Post by Windows on Washington »

The EnviroStar is prettier looking that the LS by a good bit. If you were going to compare like windows, you really would have to look at the Elements from Soft-lite.

That being said, the upgrade hardware he is offering in the Okna definitely comes at a price. Have him give you that price in White and it will probably be very close to the LS price.

I think the EnviroStar, with the hardware, is actually the better deal and especially if you like the brushed nickel.

TC900

#29 Post by TC900 »

Windows on Washington wrote:The EnviroStar is prettier looking that the LS by a good bit. If you were going to compare like windows, you really would have to look at the Elements from Soft-lite.

That being said, the upgrade hardware he is offering in the Okna definitely comes at a price. Have him give you that price in White and it will probably be very close to the LS price.

I think the EnviroStar, with the hardware, is actually the better deal and especially if you like the brushed nickel.
What did you expect from an Okna dealer...

Windows on Washington

#30 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ha!

I would be a bit of a homer here, however, my point is the brushed nickel is not a cheap upgrade.

If you are really going to compare the EnviroStar to the Imperial LS, it should be without the upgraded hardware.

The 500, with its standard extruded handle, is the more apt comparison to the LS.