Picture window prices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
patgilm

Picture window prices

#1 Post by patgilm »

So I just replaced a bunch of double hung windows and since they look so nice I was thinking about replacing the remaining windows in the house and most of them seem to be pretty expensive compared to the double hung windows. I have five picture windows around a fireplace in my family room with quarter round shaped ones on the corners. For these five windows the quotes were between $3,800-$4,200 with two of the windows being tempered. I also have another picture window in my master bathroom and it is cheaper to put a sliding window in there vs. a picture window.

Is it normal for picture windows to be so much compared to double hung windows which seem to have much more moving parts than a plain square window? Besides the quarter round windows, the square windows on the side of the fireplace are 36"x36" with a rectangle window above the fireplace which measures 56"x35" so they aren't huge windows. The master bath picture window is bigger at 48"x48" and tempered is about $850. These are for good windows like Softlite Imperial LS, Vytex Fortis or Affinity Elite. What makes these more expensive than the seemingly more complex double hung units of the exact same quality?

Windows on Washington

Re: Picture window prices

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Shape windows are disproportionately expensive.

Tempered glass drives up the price and there is little difference between DH and Pic windows.

In some cases, the larger section of glass is harder to handle and therefore more expensive vs. an operating DH.