Wood frame replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tjcarst

Wood frame replacement windows

#1 Post by tjcarst »

We currently have builder grade wood frame double hung windows, circa 1994. They have some issues with the locking mechanism where the windows meet in the middle, and the seal on a couple are horrendous.

I do not the look of vinyl on the inside window frame and also do not like the idea of 'fake' wood in the form of a vinyl that is made to look like wood. A real laminate perhaps.

Everything I see points to going with vinyl, but I really dislike the looks of them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good wood window frame that has aluminum cladding on the outside? Inside trim is light oak.

Windows on Washington

Re: Wood frame replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most of the good wood manufacturers make both insert and full frame options.

I would suggest you look at something like a fiberglass window with a wood interior as well.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We do a lot of clad wood windows. The major mfg normally have 3 to 6 different series to choose from.
In Andersen Windows I would stick with one of the following:
400 Woodwright
A series
E series
all the above are fully clad or composite exteriors
Marvin has a nice unit= Ultimate Clad
Pella has 3 clad wood series but has the most problems with rotting.

Pinex

#4 Post by Pinex »

I was in the same predictament as you and wanted something very energy efficient but also something that didnt look cheap and like a garden variety vinyl. My home is very traditional and in an upper end neighborhood. The problem with all wood windows is the fact that they arent very air tight or energy efficient plus you need to maintain them. My problem was solved when i saw the Okna 800 series with sdl grids and some sharp looking hardware. The windows blend in very nicely and i get plenty of compliments from some rather snobby neighbors.lol
I would seriously find an okna window dealer and explore that option. Another plus is its the most air tight window in the industry as far as i know.
Fwi, i did look at fiberglass and thought they looked ugly amd again, they just arent air tight or very energy efficient.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

E-Series by Andersen. Doesn't get too much nicer looking than those.

If you can live with welded corners on a cellular PVC window, you could do a product from Interstate or the Starmark from OKNA which would have a stainable interior laminate.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Fwi, i did look at fiberglass and thought they looked ugly amd again, they just arent air tight or very energy efficient.[/quote]
You must not have seen the InLine Fiberglass with real red oak laminate. They look great and are within air tight spec for me and I am fussy.
I agree that the 800 DX with SDL and laminate interior is outstanding, Though the OP has ruled out vinyl.

tjcarst

#7 Post by tjcarst »

Well, the Okna 900 quote was all messed up. $6900 did not include patio door or basement "hoppers", so are back to square one.

Pella 450 and Impervia vs others. Need to get some quotes lined up.

Did not like the looks of Impervia, liked the price. Did not like how you opened the double hung 450's for cleaning outside.

Okna dealer will only sell 900 series.

tjcarst

#8 Post by tjcarst »

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Trying to get the Okna 900 quote worked out. If so, I can live with the white window. Adding a stainable laminate added an add'l $200 per window.