Addition w/Bay window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ChrisPwindfax

Addition w/Bay window

#1 Post by ChrisPwindfax »

I'm doing a small addition (living room) that will have a bay window and a french door. I've gotten a few quotes but am always willing to get more!

Basically it's 4 or 5 DH, a bay window 93x66 with 1 24x62 DH on each side at a 30degree angle The main window of the bay is ~ 48 x 63. It will have a seat.
1 french door w/glass and shades and 1 french door with no lites. The 2nd will be to a storage room. Basic cheap door.

So far I've had the following windows quoted.

Viwinco S series NCDH-S double hung
Viwinco V3U bay unit

Simonton ProFinish Contractor DH
5500 Series Bay window

United Series 8000 DH
Series 8000 bay window $$$$$$

Jeld-wen
builder vinyl (VDH3648) DH
Vinyl bay (VDHBV225465-3Y)

Jeld-wen
2500 clad 25CDH4148
Siteline clad wood bay SCD3Y4564-25

For the french doors both companies quoted Therma-tru Smooth Star

What am I looking at here?

I live in Northern Virginia / City of Fairfax.

Thanks,
Chris

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Addition w/Bay window

#2 Post by masterext »

First off, i am not a fan of any of those brands.
Are you just looking for a supplier for the material or do you need an exoerienced contractor to also handle a proper installation?
I am quite certain that " windows on washington" serves your area. He has one heck of a company and they do extraordinary work. I would definitely contact him. Do a quick board search of his name and then click his contact button. If you really only need the material, he will probably work that out with you. He's a great guy and you will get along with him very well.

ChrisPwindfax

#3 Post by ChrisPwindfax »

masterext wrote:First off, i am not a fan of any of those brands.
Are you just looking for a supplier for the material or do you need an exoerienced contractor to also handle a proper installation?
I am quite certain that " windows on washington" serves your area. He has one heck of a company and they do extraordinary work. I would definitely contact him. Do a quick board search of his name and then click his contact button. If you really only need the material, he will probably work that out with you. He's a great guy and you will get along with him very well.
Contactor is going to install. I'll look him up

What do you like? I'm looking for bang for the buck.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We all look for bang for our buck. There is a lot of crap out there and that is not bang for your buck.
For the bay you should look at Okna 500.
For hinged French doors I think AW has the best price point and quality in the 400 series.
If you stick with the TT make sure you do frame saver and multipoint lock.

ChrisPwindfax

#5 Post by ChrisPwindfax »

TheWindowNerd wrote:We all look for bang for our buck. There is a lot of crap out there and that is not bang for your buck.
For the bay you should look at Okna 500.
For hinged French doors I think AW has the best price point and quality in the 400 series.
If you stick with the TT make sure you do frame saver and multipoint lock.
Hence the questions... :mrgreen:

the TT have the frame saver but not the multi-lock. Is that the tab locks on the top and bottom?

OK..I reached out to WoW.

Thanks

One of the suppliers just sent me a PDF from Okna saying that no bays are available at this time.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I install a few Okna bays per month, that would be news to me... Took delivery of one yesterday actually.

+1 on Windows on Washington. Even for sourcing the parts alone, it is best to use someone that offer excellent products and knows what they are doing.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep Windows on Washington would be my choice.

The "tab locks" you are asking about are concealed slide bolts on the inactive side in the astragal.
Multi point lock is a factory option that dramatically increases security and air tightness. If you upgrade the whole system to Tru Defense you also get an insurance rider against water infiltration. It is what I would do if it were mine.