First timer questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hoosierdaddy

First timer questions

#1 Post by hoosierdaddy »

I'm looking to replace most if not all of the windows in our home. I've received a few quotes now, but am finding that it's difficult to get good information. To start, I'm looking t replace 26 windows, 19 openings. I've received quotes ranging from just below 15k to above 30k. Everyone seems to claim exclusive access to similar features and I'm getting frustrated.

I plan to be in this home for the long term and want to put quality windows in, but don't necessarily want to spend the 30k on the high end either.

So my questions are:

1) Is there anyone you would recommend in central Indiana? As stated I'm having problems getting good advice from an installer.
2) We have DH currently, but am thinking of switching to casements. Our home is a brick ranch, which seem to typically have DH. I like the increased visibility and ventilation, but I'm unsure architecturally if it will fit and just curious in general if it's a good move.
3) I'm confused on install methods. We have brick mold on the exterior and wood trim on the interior that evidently doesn't need to be removed during replacement? Wouldn't it be better to remove it all and do a full frame replacement? Some of the wood on the exterior is pretty weathered.

Thanks in advance.

HomeSealed

Re: First timer questions

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

1) I don't believe that any of the board pros service your area, but you will have access to most if not all of the top products recommended. Best bet would be to contact a manufacturer or two and ask for a recommendation in your area.

2)WHile most ranch homes are double hung, many- particularly newer- are casements these days. Unless there is something particularly noteworthy about the architectural significance of your home's design, I'd say that you are safe either way.

3)Yes and no. A full tear out is a more comprehensive installation, no doubt. That said, it will also be significantly more expensive, certainly at the top of the price range that you mentioned. If you have exisiting leaking, substantial wood rot, or are particularly sensitive to a small amount of lost glass area, those would be reasons that a full tearout would be a good idea. Some weathering of exterior wood would not necessitate it. What it really comes down to for most homeowners, is that you can save a couple hundred per window (or so) by doing replacements and really not lose anything.

On pricing, while that is a fairly large spread, you are pretty much at the normal range. The low end isn't CRAZY low, and the high end isn't CRAZY high, although that could change depending on window options, size, installation factors, etc.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well said HomeSealed.

Great advice.

High Five...

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We do both insert replacement and full tear tear/full frame about equally.
So lets look at cost first. For my customers the typical difference is $225 per window more for a full tear/full frame than an insert replacement. Nough said.
What do you get that is different: benefits of full tear/full frame
all rotted or tattered wood removed, insulation between the window and the rough opening( this does not typically occur with insert replacement of your type), maximized glass you will gain 1.5" in width and 3 " in height( 37.5 x 59 window = 201 sq inchs or 1.4sqft)

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

TheWindowNerd wrote:We do both insert replacement and full tear tear/full frame about equally.
So lets look at cost first. For my customers the typical difference is $225 per window more for a full tear/full frame than an insert replacement. Nough said.
What do you get that is different: benefits of full tear/full frame
all rotted or tattered wood removed, insulation between the window and the rough opening( this does not typically occur with insert replacement of your type), maximized glass you will gain 1.5" in width and 3 " in height( 37.5 x 59 window = 201 sq inchs or 1.4sqft)
, every thing looks and is brand new.