Window Replacement Project in IL

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
window_student

Window Replacement Project in IL

#1 Post by window_student »

Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

My house is 23 years old. I intend to continue living here for a long time. I have considered making use of vinyl pocket replacement windows, but I see some rot and feel soft spots in the sill area within some of the existing windows. I have not noticed any moisture or staining inside. Two different window guys who stopped by said that the frames were in reasonably good shape and a full frame installation wasn't required, but I don't want to be in a position ~ 5 or 10 years from now where the original window frames start to fail and I end up having to replace the entire frames anyway, on top of the cost of pocket replacements. From what I have read about this topic so far, a full frame is the only sure-fire way to evaluate the original building components, along with determining if the insulation is adequate between the rough opening and window frame. Am I missing anything in my thinking? Does a pocket replacement process allow for replacing the sill and jambs, and thus allow one to get a reasonably good look at the other surrounding wood material? What if there is extensive rot discovered? I imagine that I'd be stuck with a bunch of purchased pocket replacements that couldn't be used upon discovering hidden rotted material.

Assuming that a full frame replacement vinyl window is the direction I should be going... The second aspect is the cost. I have two quotes so far for a full frame replacement of the following:

One 8' sliding door

One 28" W x 30" H casement with 2 W by 3 H muntins

Two wide double hung, 67" W x 55" H

Two wide double hung, 67" W x 47" H with 2 W by 3 H muntins

1/2 circle over two wide double hung, 67" W x 87" H with 2 W by 3 H muntins
(the half circle has three muntins as well)

Three wide double hung, 100" W x 38" H

Two wide double hung, 67" W x 38" H

Two wide double hung, 67" W x 38" H with 2 W by 3 H muntins

One quote is 15K, using Pella 250 vinyl windows and Pella door.

The other quote is 16K, using ClimateGuard 2550 vinyl windows and ClimateGuard door. This contractor also provided an alternate quote for 11.5K to do pocket replacements + the door.

Each full frame quote includes the haul away of scrap, flashing the windows, interior and exterior trim. I have aluminum siding.

Am I wrong in thinking that those quotes are quite high for 14 windows and one door?
I also have some quality concerns regarding the Pella 250 series, and, to a lesser extent, the ClimateGuard 2550 offerings. Any suggestions regarding price, and window selection? Thanks!

EDIT: Link to ClimateGuard 2550 window info

http://www.climateguardwindows.com/#ourProducts

HomeSealed

Re: Window Replacement Project in IL

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

1) On installation: You can still use a pocket replacement if substantial rot is found by replacing the affected pieces. You could conceivably rebuild the entire buck frame if need be. This is often done in circumstances where one or two windows are pretty well rotted out, but the rest are in good shape. If the majority are pretty shot, then a full tear out would be wise... Either way, there is not much "hidden" damage that would pop up during a window install. Generally the condition of all structural components is in plain sight even before the install starts. On the rare occasion that there is some internal framing damage or something like that, you can generally see red flags upon initial inspection.

2)On price, those prices are fairly reasonable actually. An 8' door is far from inexpensive, as is the half round unit and the full tear out installation. I would probably prefer to see some higher end product options, however. In IL you should have access to most if not all of the top performers.