Replacement window not flush with siding

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Atalide

Replacement window not flush with siding

#1 Post by Atalide »

I got 3 replacement windows installed yesterday and I feel the installer did a crappy job. The windows, or aluminum framing around them aren't flush with the siding. There is a 1/2 inch gap between siding and window framing. If you look at all the other windows on other condos in my complex (some of which are replacement) none of them have my issue.

Should I ask the company to fix it? I don't know anything about windows so I don't know if this is common or not.

Feedback appreciated. Here is a link to the new windows:

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement window not flush with siding

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The DH looks good, they even water lapped they sill cap.
The other picture with the old capping I am not sure what it is for.
From what I see there is nothing crappy about it.

Atalide

#3 Post by Atalide »

The first photo shows 2 upstairs windows. The double hung window was replaced. It is not flush with the siding. Does that matter? I feel it just doesn't look as nice as the others.

The other window with awning is also a little recessed from siding.

What is DH and capping?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Capping isn't great in a couple of spots but I see nothing wrong with the install as well.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Was the last pic taken prior to caulking? If not, it needs to be caulked... Other than that, I agree with the others. Everything looks fine. Replacements generally will appear more recessed for reasons which vary by application (prior storm windows, casements, etc). In some cases a window can be set out further toward the exterior (may or may not be possible here), but that would need to be discussed ahead of time.
Nothing crappy though unless that caulking still needs to be done.

Edit: At second glance, is the "recess" that you are referring to the space from the back side of the j channel (siding trim) to the new white window trim? It does appear that there maybe a 1/2" gap or so there. That should not be left like that IF that is the case... There are several ways to fix that. They could have built the trim out, faked it out, or just put an extra flare bend there to cover that. It looks like it is either sheathing or an old layer of siding that is partially exposed in that area.. Let me know if I'm on that right track if that is your concern

Atalide

#6 Post by Atalide »

That is exactly what it is. When I asked the installer about it he said that it was fine and that it could be built out but that it wasn't needed. Is it unreasonable to ask that it be built out so there isn't that gap? What would you usually build it out with?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Looks like some of that capping is old and from when the siding was done. You sure you are blaming the right guy? Your installer did nothing wrong. If he builds it out, that would be an added expense for you. I cant see him offering to do that for free. I would leave it.
I see nothing wrong with the install.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DH = double hung, SH = single hung, the first pic of the second floor R window is a DH or SH. It looks good.
The 3rd pic is confusing in that it has a small pent roof with old soffit and fasia capping. In the first I can see that this is to the L of the glass sliding door. Was that window replaced? If so the caulking needs to be redone at minimum. But need a better picture of that total unit to comment further.

TheWindowNerd

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

That aluminum siding looks like it's installed atop of another layer of older siding but the exterior window casings were never built out correctly, which is common and pretty ugly. Hard to do right without spending extra money. When I run into a job like that I present several options regarding the finished appearance. Getting rid of that horrible aluminum j-channel and adding a wider trim casing board is much more work but well worth it. Some of the other capping pictures are terrible. Those so called mechanics should be collecting shopping carts at Walmart.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Again, the installation of the old aluminum and siding has absolutely nothing to do with your current window installer. If yiu want him to change it, you would obviously need him to draw up a new contract with new pricing assuming you already paid him for the work he just completed.
He may not want to get involved though.

Atalide

#11 Post by Atalide »

I have not paid the window installer yet. It just seems that the window capping should be flush or built out to be at same level as the j channel instead of recessed 1/2-3/4 of an inch back . Every other window in my 50 unit condo complex with replacement windows is "built out or framed so there isn't this ugly space between capping and the j channel and siding.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Atalide, is this capping newly done with the new windows? And is this gap a new development that was not there before? My understanding is that the answer is yes, and perhaps that was not made clear. IF that is the case, I'm sure that the other pros would agree with me that this gap should have been covered. As I stated previously, they could have added some wood on top of the exiting trim to build it out before capping, or simply used some ingenuity in bending that metal to cover it. Quite frankly, even if the gap was there previously, a good installer would cover that IF he is replacing the aluminum.

Again, let me know if I am off base.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

definitely should not be flush. This does not allow or create caulking ledge.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

TWN is correct, the window nor trim should not be flush with the j channel. That said, the trim should at least extend to the back side of the j channel if not a little further. I'm always hesitant to say that someone did a poor job because there can always be extenuating circumstances, however I really don't have any other explanation for why they would not have covered that space at this point.

Guy

#15 Post by Guy »

In my opinion the DH window that was replaced was recessed back in the opening further than the original. If you look at the casement you can see the frame is almost out past the J. The original window probably had a wider jamb thickness or some type of Jamb Box inside to flush the Sheetrock. The new window probably has a much narrower jamb and was pushed inward to come flush inside. This is caused by poor measuring or new jamb boxes not sold in the job. Then the capping was bent to take up the void. My concern would be the weep holes draining poorly and getting into the wall. That capping all looks horrible! Non mitered corners and uncaulked seams are going to cause water infiltration issues down the road!! Good Luck!!!