Need Window Contractor - Replacement Vinyl Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
GiantsFanMan11

Need Window Contractor - Replacement Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

I have been trying to find a decent contractor/window combination and am having a heck of a time. I live in Gansevoort, NY (near Glens Falls, Saratoga Springs). I have 12 windows (one very large) and a sliding glass door that we want replaced for something more energy efficient. Our current windows are wood frame with a single pane. They aren't very drafty (except the sliding glass door which leaks for sure), but we figure it's time for an upgrade.

Looking at this board it seems a lot of you like Simonton and Okna, but I can't find any contractors near me that sell those (unless I go with Home Depot or another big store). I have gotten 2 quotes so far:
-$6000 Duraweld hollow frame, insulated 7/8 glass windows (approx $300 for each standard window they install up to 102 inches)
-$10000 Alside Sheffield foam filled, double pane

Based on my reading here, I'm guessing you all would say the first quote is way too cheap, poor quality windows and perhaps the second quote isn't worth it considering the opinions on this forum regarding Alside. I'm just looking for some direction here. If you can't suggest a contractor, what is the best way to find one? Google hasn't helped that much because many of the companies I find don't seem to exist anymore.

Thank you all

HomeSealed

Re: Need Window Contractor - Replacement Vinyl Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Try contacting the manufacturers that you are interested in directly via their website or phone. They should be able to put you in touch with a dealer or two in your area.

You answered your own questions on the other two, no elaboration needed :D

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with HomeSealed. You pretty much have noodled it on your own.

Call some of the brands that we tend to reference as nicer manufacturers and let us know if you can track them down.

GiantsFanMan11

#4 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

I followed up a bit on the first quote I got. The Duraweld windows are Energy Star approved and they are double pane as well. They aren't foam filled, but the contractor says they could upgrade me to foam filled windows, they just don't see it as much of a benefit vs. cost. I was wondering a couple things:

Anyone have experience with Duraweld windows?
Is Foam filled really all that important?

I know the price sounds too good to be true, but I don't want to assume anything either.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not familiar with the window.

What are the performance figures like?

Whether on not foam filling is a good option depends on the net impact on the window performance is.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

By performance figures WOW is referring to some test results that we use to eval how good the window truly is.
U value of .26 or less, AI .05 or less, warranty, and thickness of extrusion, also construction type, NO pocket sill.

TheWindowNerd

GiantsFanMan11

#7 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

The guy verbally told me that the warranty on the window is lifetime on the frame and 20 years on the glass. My "Glass Package" I believe would be Energy Star since he told me they were Energy Star windows. We are not getting grids.

I've Copy/Pasted the below from Duraweld's website, but here's the URL as well:
http://www.idealwindow.com/options-for- ... indow.html

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
-Stepped, sloped sill minimizes air infiltration and ensures quick water drainage
-Dual sealed, dedicated head jamb features an anti-draft snubber, which “snaps” the top sash into place
-Teflon coated stainless steel constant force balance system allows sashes to be raised and lowered with ease - Larger sash sizes are easily accommodated by tandem or triple balances
-Balance covers conceal balances and provide interior with a finished look
-Standard half screen, full screen available
-LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

SPECIFICATIONS

FRAME
Beveled exterior frame adds an elegant, clean appearance
Welded corners provide an additional air and water tight barrier for a home

GLASS
Energy efficient 7/8” insulated glass provides year round comfort. Additional glass options available
Warm Edge Intercept ™ spacer reduces condensation, stress cracks and seal failures

SASH
Overlapping interlocking sashes provide maximum view and ensure positive sash-to-sash contact providing superior strength, durability and enhances thermal performance

WEATHERSTRIPPING
Dual weather-stripping seals on all sash-to-sash frame contact points ensuring protections from the elements
The sashes are processed to allow the weather-stripping to run the full width or height of the sash

HARDWARE
Cam action lock(s) and keeper(s) draw meeting rails together for a tighter seal.
Two locks on all windows 26” wide and wider

SCREEN
Electrostatic painted, extruded aluminum screen is color matched. Full screen available

TECHNICAL DATA
THERMAL PERFORMANCE:
The lower the U-Factor, the more you’ll save on your heating bill. A high SHGC rating will help save on cooling costs. This window has been tested and certified to NFRC standards for energy efficiency.

GLASS PACKAGE (NO GRIDS)
Energy Smart: U-Factor 0.30, SHGC 0.28
Low E Argon: U-Factor 0.32, SHGC 0.28
Low E Glass: U-Factor 0.35, SHGC 0.28

GLASS PACKAGE (GRIDS)
Energy Smart: U-Factor 0.30, SHGC 0.26
Low E Argon: U-Factor 0.32, SHGC 0.25
Low E Glass: U-Factor 0.35, SHGC 0.25

STRUCTURAL PERFORMANCE:
This window has been tested to the AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S 2/A440-05 standard for product performance. A higher DP rating indicates the product has passed higher performance requirements to the AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S 2/A440-05 testing standard.

GiantsFanMan11

#8 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

I also just found the AI which is 0.09.

GiantsFanMan11

#9 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

Sorry, I mixed up "Energy Star" and "Energy Smart." I guess I can't be sure which Glass Package I would be so I'll have to ask. But sounds like you guys might not be impressed with these numbers. How far off is .30 from .26 when it comes to real-world R-value?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

yep not impressed , but not average or horrible either.

GiantsFanMan11

#11 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

Would I have to get triple pane to hit those numbers?

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

NO.
Okna/HiMark 800DX or 500DX, Softlite Imperial LS w stainless steel spacer or super spacer, or Sunrise Vanguard

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Ratings are average at best. The AI number is not terrible if the .09 is accurate for a double hung, but if that is a casement or similar it is not good.

GiantsFanMan11

#14 Post by GiantsFanMan11 »

So I found a contractor who installs Okna windows: http://www.residentialimprovementsinc.com/
They say they're the only one in a 300 mile radius. They do all kinds of work in the northeast. They are the first company to hit the numbers you guys are talking about (U-Factor 0.26, AI 0.01) and I was really impressed with everything they had to show me. They quoted me $12,500. More expensive than my other quotes, but it sure seems like that's for good reason. I am pretty sure that this is what I'm going with.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Not familiar with the install company, but the window is excellent. Price is within the normal range of reason, probably would need more info to nail that down. I will say though that you will be better off 100 times out of 100 to pay price that is slightly high for a great product compared to one that is low for something marginal. This is a 30+ year investment after all.