How are replacement windows priced?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jdegeorge

How are replacement windows priced?

#1 Post by jdegeorge »

I received a quote from a Central New Jersey Schuco window company for 18 windows (4 casement / 14 double-hung of various sizes) of $15,750. That's an average of $875 per window, but that's including installation. I've got a question pending with them on the real price per window separate of installation costs.

I'm sure that the cost of windows vary by size but I don't know how they're price...so much per square foot?

Part of my question to the dealer concerns never having seen a price sheet. The quote was for a RETAIL PRICE, then a MANUFACTURER PRICE, then a DEALER PRICE, then my FINAL PRICE. MNFG was 10% off RETAIL. DEALER was 10% off that. FINAL price was 5% off that.

Also, if I can only buy Schuco windows through a dealer, is there really a RETAIL or MANUFACTURER price?

Am I off base asking to see a retail price sheet from Schuco or someone else? Am I off base in asking for breakdown of window cost versus installation cost?

I'm completely satisfied with the Schuco window. I'm just concerned about the big expenditure and want proof of the costs.

Please let me know what you think when you can. Thanks!

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

replacement windows are all priced differently from company to company, i have been doing this for over 12 years, this may not seem like a long time to some, but i think i got the hang of the way companies in NJ price their windows....plain and simple its like the wild west whatever the salesman can get out of you wallet thats what they are going for, yes i realize that there are exceptions but this for the most part is the practice.i mean seriously, mfg price, dealer price, direct price, les a "sale price" then take off a few % points etc. i have alway gone in with the straight foward i feel my customers appreciate that more

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

windowman nj simplified it. There are no mfrg sug list prices. Prices well vary by region because of differences in overhead and operating cost, and sometimes whatever the salesperson thinks they can get. Most dealers well not break it down or separate the window from installation because your buying a package that includes both. The prices you were quoted depending upon extras might be a little high but you can always haggle.

jdegeorge

#4 Post by jdegeorge »

So, the dealer telling me the RETAIL price, then taking off 10% and saying it's the MANUFACTURER'S price, then taking off 10% more to call it THEIR price, and then take off another 5% to call it my FINAL price is just some marketing hype?

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#5 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Yup and that's my final answer. Ask for a few more discounts and the salesperson might get confused and really give you a deal.

jdegeorge

#6 Post by jdegeorge »

I'm on the phone with them now...they are getting flustered.

windowmannjny

#7 Post by windowmannjny »

where in central jersey are you?

jdegeorge

#8 Post by jdegeorge »

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY wrote:Yup and that's my final answer. Ask for a few more discounts and the salesperson might get confused and really give you a deal.
My math was off earlier in this post...it's about $850 per window not $875. Still, that's expensive.
Last edited by jdegeorge on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#9 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Remember who signs the check. I think if you called the salesperson and said what you just posted you might have a deal.
Renewal probably well be more for less window but I think they do have a sug list price, but way too high. Without looking at your job it's hard to comment on what's too high, but your in the ballpark with what you said you'd like to pay.

WindDoze

#10 Post by WindDoze »

jdegeorge wrote: Hey...if they said, "Jim...I'll sell you the windows for $750 each." I'd sign today and tell Andersen not to bother coming tonight.
Did you tell him that? I'd be surprised if he'd let you hang up the phone and not take the deal. Most dealers do want to maintain margins, but at the same time aren't stupid enough to let a deal go away that is profitable. (At least any dealer that understands the concept of marginal cost.)

jdegeorge

#11 Post by jdegeorge »

I didn't tell him that. But I had a lot of time this past weekend to think about this dealer's pricing.
Last edited by jdegeorge on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Congrats on your purchase jdegeorge.

None of us here care at all what window you choose as long as you made an educated choice, you didn't get taken advantage of, and you are happy.

WindDoze

#13 Post by WindDoze »

Congrats and good luck on your purchase. If you are comfortable that's the most important thing. For the record it wasn't Schuco but the individual dealer that your should be upset with. Not all Schuco dealers use the tactics you describe. There are bad apples in any window dealer network, its just unfortunate you got stuck with one in the area that you live.

jdegeorge

#14 Post by jdegeorge »

Yes...it's th dealer, not Schuco, that I've got issues with. Especially after his response to my cancellation, in which he said...
And yes we can charge whatever we want for a window. Isn't America a GREAT country. (rhetorical) When I went to school it was called free enterprise.

P.S. Does this mean you not going to recommend us to your neighbor?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

What a jerk!

Good thing you didn't go with him.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.