Replacement Windows - Big Box Stores

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
devlynsyde

Replacement Windows - Big Box Stores

#1 Post by devlynsyde »

We're looking to replace all of the windows in our colonial home that has original windows. We have got quotes from the standard big box stores but in researching some of the offerings online I stumbled across this forum. It's making me question our choice seeing some of the comments about buying from these stores. Our electric/gas bills aren't outrageous currently but we're also not too heavy on the thermostat, so I'm not sure that we want top of the line windows. But I certainly don't want our first big upgrade to our home to have been a mistake since it's a significant cost.

We're replacing 24 windows in the home, one being a 3-way slider and one a 2-way slider, the rest standard double hung.

Lowes - Reliabilit 3900 - uFactor stated as .21, believe it is actually .29. Quoted @ 13,904.87. The concerns were that they do installation from the interior which didn't seem to be the preference reading on the site and the quote didn't include the exterior capping as they said they shouldn't be damaged. Also it has channel which seems to be disliked on forum, but sloped sill.

Home Depot - Simonton 6500 and 6100 with a uFactor of .30. The 6500 is a 7/8" thick window which seems over doing it. 6100 was 3/4 and mostly cheaper due to less warranty coverage. $19250 / $16250 Has 3 step sloped sill, no channel.

Window World - Series 4000 window. Priced to replace exterior capping and replace interior stops. Our home was built in 1941 and we weren't sure about lead.. so he did the quote with out the EPA Lead-Safe installation.. so.. we obviously now realize we would need that, and aren't real comfortable that he was willing to do quote without. $11381

Are any of these windows at least considered of good enough quality to be used if properly installed? Having read up now online, I've at least reached out to a Sun-Lite installer. But I am hesitant as the pricing at Lowes was at an upper limit of what we were hoping to pay. ~$550/window.

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement Windows - Big Box Stores

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Without a bunch of options added on, you should be able to find a better window than the box stores for that budget... Or at least close to it.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I agree with HomeSealed, and would add that of the windows quoted Simonton is the best choice as a mid-grade vinyl window. I would never recommend having a big box subcontractor install your windows though, you really need to get a better job since installation is critical to the performance of the window and the protection of your home.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The reliabilt has to be one of the bulkiest/ ugly windows i have ever seen. There are much better windows out there, im not a fan of any that you have seen thus far, window world being the worst in my opinion.
For the prices you were quoted, you can find much better windows . Okn, soft lite, and sunrise shoukd be available depending on where you live.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nobody has asked, but where is the home located. Pricing is somewhat regional and therefore subject to those fluctuations and expenses.

I don't care, just like the other guys, for any of the choices so far.

devlynsyde

#6 Post by devlynsyde »

I see those brands mentioned a lot and was able to find a nearby Soft-Lite installer so I was going to have him out. Outside of boards like this, the Soft-Lite searches I found with "reviews" referred to it as an average window. Obviously average could still be better than those I was quoted, however. The other thing that caused me concern was that Soft-Lite was mentioned as a brand that might not be around forever, and that any warranty would disappear. That seems less likely with Lowes or Home Depot, so I was wondering why that seems to be a non-factor on these boards?

devlynsyde

#7 Post by devlynsyde »

Windows on Washington wrote:Nobody has asked, but where is the home located. Pricing is somewhat regional and therefore subject to those fluctuations and expenses.

I don't care, just like the other guys, for any of the choices so far.
I live in the Finger Lakes area of New York, so there is a fairly limited number of available options unfortunately.

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

devlynsyde wrote:I see those brands mentioned a lot and was able to find a nearby Soft-Lite installer so I was going to have him out. Outside of boards like this, the Soft-Lite searches I found with "reviews" referred to it as an average window. Obviously average could still be better than those I was quoted, however. The other thing that caused me concern was that Soft-Lite was mentioned as a brand that might not be around forever, and that any warranty would disappear. That seems less likely with Lowes or Home Depot, so I was wondering why that seems to be a non-factor on these boards?
It sounds like you found the window dawg. Hidden agendas abound on that site. One guy answers the questions, deletes the responses that don't fit his agenda. Never really talks about the company that he owns or the product he sells either. Hmmm.
Here are a few facts- window ratings are where it is at. He doesn't talk much about those and minimizes differences because the product that he pimps is not great on paper. Number 2- Some guys have their issues with Softlite, but they are very sound financially. If I'm not mistaken, the CEO is an accountant or financial analyst or something. 3- the size of the company that makes the product only goes so far. There are many BIG window makers that are in terrible shape financially, and many have already filed for some variation of BK where their previous customers are SOL on warranty. What is more likely, is getting a crappy install from box stores. Look no further than this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6293
Congrats to you on doing research. I'd recommend that you stick with OPEN forum type sites where literally anyone can post as they please, and you can gather opinions and info from many other professionals and consumers. Sure, you will find SOMETHING negative about every manufacturer, but the good ones are far more good than bad.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't sell Softlite nor do I love them, but their top products are far from average. The Elements and Imperial LS are two of the top performing products on the market both thermally and structurally. They have been in business for a long time and are sound financially by all accounts as well. Perhaps the reviews that you read were about their entry level offerings? ... Of the group that you are looking at above, the Simonton 5600 is the best of the bunch. Solid, mid grade performer. That said, you may be able to find a better performing window for the price as alluded to above, and not have to worry about a cut-rate install if you choose wisely.

devlynsyde

#10 Post by devlynsyde »

Fridge was correct, I'm going to have an installer for Soft-Lite come out to quote, but am concerned that they'll make our current quotes seem cheap which will be very hard to swallow.

I seem to be blind, but how can one find installers of Okna?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

best thing is to contact the manufacturer (any manufacturer) either via their website or by phone. They can then give you a dealer or 2 in your area.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Call the company and see who they reference in those cases.

By the way, I love that part of the country. Really beautiful up there.

devlynsyde

#13 Post by devlynsyde »

Come visit.. install some windows.. go on a wine tour.. install some windows.. visit the waterfalls and gorges.. install some windows. =)

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not a terrible idea.

:lol: :lol:

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

The Window Dawg reviews are very biased and skewed towards his own agenda( selling alside windows). I find it rather ironic that a supposed " window expert" would recommend anything by alside.
The window dawg seems to recommend windows that belong in a dawg house.