okna basement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sdvinyl

okna basement windows

#1 Post by sdvinyl »

Hey all,

I am back after having replaced most of the windows in my house with OKNA 500s, I'm looking to replace the rest.

1. Basement windows. What model number should I be looking at to macth my 500s? Basement is block construction. Secondly, how should I replace them? I asked my installer and he said he could fit it into the existing frame or reframe it if needed. Should I request reframing as a must? I want him to use the maximum space for the window. I don't see the blocks around the window. its been covered with cement. In addition there is a slope on the bottom of the window. See pictures. But I'm concerned that there is a few more inches of window I could get but the installer wants to do whatever is easiest for him.
http://imgur.com/a/3wM5M

2. A bathroom window I replaced gets a lot of water on the sill. It's a fair sized window and can be reduced in size. The old sill was semi rotting from the water. My question is how difficult is it to reduce the window opening size, lets say by about a foot? I have cement siding so I know that part will be trickier than most instances. But what abotu the rest? Is it as easy as adding a 2x4 and some cement board and tile on the inside? And then adding some wood panels on the outside covered by cement siding. With some insulation in the middle? My installer would do it, but I want to know its easy enough that they should get it right if they are decent. Or should I just stick with what I have since its worked well enough for 50+ years.I could cover it up with a shower curtain.

3. The bathroom window has another problem, its the okna 500 w/ safety glass with frosted panels, but I can still make out a silhouette from outside. Its not terrible, but its not ideal and with brand new window, I want ideal. So is there a solution to this? Is there a more frosted or privacy glass option? Or are people usually okay with it? I'm thinking because of the water problem I'm going to put a dark curtain on it anyhow, but I wish I didn't have to. And if i shrink the opening I have a chance to change the new window :roll: .

4. Condensation on new window. MY big living room window has had outside condensation for several days in the morning. I read that this is okay, but I want to double check. I checked a few neighbors and none of them have condensation on their windows. And one of them got a similar sized window liek a week before I did, but i dont think its okna. Secondly, none of the other okna windows recently installed seem to have condensation. I didn't check them all though and they are mostly on different sections of the house. Except one is on the same wall on other half of house. My new storm door also has condensation which I can't explain since I left it wide open and it still happened. But its right next to the big window with condensation.
Last edited by sdvinyl on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: okna basement windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Condensation on the outside of the glass is normal in the morning. That has to do with the dew point.

Windows on Washington

Re: okna basement windows

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Okna 500 series hopper or 2-Lite slider will match. You won't find anything that quite looks like the window you have now.

2. Water is on the interior sill or the exterior sill? The window itself will be largely immune to anything you throw on it, but any organic trim around it will suffer from the exposure.

3. You can maybe put another film on it or some sort of blinds. I assure you that if you have anyone watching you that closely (i.e. neighbor), you need to call the cops anyway.

4. Normal phenomena as masterext mentioned. The outside pane is allow to reach dew point now as a result of the lessened energy flow through the window.