Quick show of hands...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mikeh19d

Quick show of hands...

#1 Post by mikeh19d »

I promise this will be my last post....(maybe)... I have narrowed the field to three choices:

1. Insignia windows & ProVia doors
2. Zen Windows (Nirvana, Solar LowE or Lotus) & ProVia doors
3. Simonton 5300/5500 & ThermaTru doors

Fiscally the difference between the Simonton and the other two are over $3,000.00. Performance wise I'm not too sure who has better numbers. The project calls for replacing 23 windows, a 1/2 Round and three doors, one 6 panel all steel (no glass) entry door, a Full View, fiberglass or entry steel door with internal blind and one full view storm door.

The total costs are:
1. $16,121.00
2. $16,592.00
3. $13,000.00

Is there that much of a quality/performance difference between the first two quotes and the third quote to justify to price difference? and would I be making a mistake in the long run by choosing #3?
I'm just asking for educated/experienced opinions. Ultimately I will be writing the check and living with the outcome. Thank you in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Quick show of hands...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

#2 is probably the better combination of product offerings between the Soft-Lite windows and Provia doors.

mikeh19d

#3 Post by mikeh19d »

Thank you... and in your opinion how much of a difference in ROI would there be in energy savings and/or home value between #2 & #3?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

#3 the windows leak a lot of air.
The doors probably no difference.

Promises promises....

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Both window offerings in the #3 option are high air leakage number windows.

As far as energy, that will amount to something. How much is impossible to tell.

The doors in option #2 are also superior. Whether that translates to less energy loss would remain to be seen but the product is better.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

simonton have a very high air infiltration rating and its a bulky/ old design.
# 2 is the best option a d the Provia door is MUCH better than thermatru.

mikeh19d

#7 Post by mikeh19d »

Okay, so survey says.... #2. I can see it and the ProVia doors are top shelf. Can anyone tell me why they wouldn't pick #1. It has the ProVia doors as well? I thought Insignia windows were pretty good.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

The other guys might be more familiar with option one but from what i rememeber, Insignia is the Alside 8000 series . Im not a fan of alside/ ami materials at all and neither are any of the other pro's. That said, the 8000 is a decent window and something alside does not sell in their stores.
The soft lite window you viewed from the other company is a better window amd well worth the extra money.

mikeh19d

#9 Post by mikeh19d »

I would like to start by thanking everyone who provided feedback. It was important to get the a view from someone who didn't have skin in the game. So we decided to go with Zen Windows Lotus/Softlite Pro product. I'll come back after the install to let y'all know how it went.