New Windows Comparison in Connecticut

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
madmax2099

New Windows Comparison in Connecticut

#1 Post by madmax2099 »

Hello, I am new to the group looking for some basic feedback. I am currently looking to replace roughly 34 windows in my 1920's house. Yes it still has the original windows from the 20's era which are wood single pane windows with the pulleys, lead paint, ropes, and weights on them. I am not living in this house yet, but my intent is to stay there for around 10-20 years max. Since I am looking to replace all windows in this house everything from Attic all the way down to the basement, I got some quotes from a few places and I looked at different manufactures as well. Keep in mind most of windows features I was looking for was, replacement windows which are dual pane, and Low E. There are 2 gigantic windows in the living room which I was considering putting in a dual slider, and a mud room to have the same style window as well. For the most part every other window was the standard size.

At Home Depot I looked at the Simonton 6500 series window, 6100 Series and the American Craftsman 70 Series by Anderson. Simonton 6500 installed I was quoted $22,000, with the 6100 Series it came down to $18,000, and if I went with the AC 70 series it would be closer to $14,000.

At Lowes, I was directed to the United 7800 Series windows for a grand total of $13,500 which didn't include capping of the windows and if I wanted that it would be an additional $50 per window.

Another quote was from another local company which pointed me to the PLY GEM Replacement Contractor Series for a grand total of $13,800

I did also look at Renewal by Anderson which came in at the highest price of $42,000 which I am not even going to go there.

Please any advise on this would be helpful, I am not looking to spend a whole lot but at the same time I don't want to be replacing windows in a year. I am sure anything I get now will be better than what I have now.

Thank you :)

Delaware Mike

Re: New Windows Comparison in Connecticut

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Keep shopping. Stay away from the box stores and their install programs. Total crap shoot, mostly crap. I'd look for a reputable dealer with brands such as OKNA, Soft-Lite, or Sunrise. There are some rare but good GC's out there that can turn products like the upper Simonton lines like the 5500 or 9800, Paradigm, or Plygem premium into nice projects.

The United 8000 series out of some Lowes is somewhat of a decent window.

madmax2099

#3 Post by madmax2099 »

Thanks Mike, I talked to a friend of mine who used to install windows and he had mention its not always the brand of windows that I have to compare but the quality of the workmanship of the installer. A window is a window but if not installed properly it can get damaged in time very easily.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Install is just as important as product...true.

That being said, no need to sacrifice on either if there are great options on the product side.

Like Mike said, none of those windows (even what we would think would be a good RBA window at that price) are even close to being worthy of considering.