Reverse cottage style windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jenners21

Reverse cottage style windows

#1 Post by Jenners21 »

I live in the Chicagoland area and am on the search for replacement windows. We live in a brick faced ranch and currently have casement windows which I hate. I am set on double hung windows but recently saw some reverse cottage style and am now curious. I like the idea of the sash line being lower but am curious if others have any reviews. Obviously you can't open them as much because the sash divide is 2/3 vs. 1/2. Has that been an issue for anybody with reverse cottage windows? Anything else to consider? Also, we have a few windows on the back of the house that are tall and narrow and I haven't found a company that sells a vinyl double hung in a reverse cottage in those sizes. Would it be wrong to put the reverse cottage on the front and sides of house but standard split sashes on the back?
Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Reverse cottage style windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plenty of good windows to choose from in Chicago. I think that Strong Windows still services that area.

No reason not to go with the window you are proposing. For your information, the split would be more like 60% top and 40% lower vs. 66% top and 33% lower.

Plenty of ventilation can still be had through that style opening. More than enough.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington is correct in that most Oriel and Cottage windows are 60%-40%. Most manufacturers can also custom make them to the percentages that you want. The only thing that can complicate the different percentages is if you have grids. The 60%-40% allows for 2 grid squares tall in the bottom sash and 3 grid squares tall in the top sash of the same dimension. A 70%-30% wouldn't work for grids as the squares would be different sizes in the 2 sashes.
I can't figure why the tall skinny windows on the back couldn't be made as you want, unless that manufacturer only makes standard sizes. There would be nothing wrong with doing them 50-50 on the back though. Most oriel or cottage windows in Chicagoland are only on the front of the home anyway.

Jenners21

#4 Post by Jenners21 »

The rough opening for the back windows are 20x65. Jeld wen makes a double hung window that fits that opening but not in Oriel. There won't be any grids so that is not an issue. I am not set on Jeldwen, just want a good vinyl double hung window. I was hoping to do Oriel all the way around but more just for uniformity. Menards sells Jeldwen but it is just a builders vinyl and don't really know the quality of that line. Any advice? Better brand that does double hung in a 20x65? Should I NOT do oriel in the back?

Jenners21

#5 Post by Jenners21 »

Just been doing some more research and Jeldwen is not sounding like a good choice in terms of quality. I haven't found size availability info on some of the recommended brands such as Okna and soft-lite. Also, I sent you an email Windows4u, since you serve my area!