Can nailing flange be added to OKNA 400?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JDog77

Can nailing flange be added to OKNA 400?

#1 Post by JDog77 »

Hello all,
Window contractor ordered OKNA 400 insert windows for a replacement project on my house. Turns out a moisture intrusion report found some damage to a portion of the OSB behind the stucco and I really need new construction type windows (500, 800) in a handful of places. Windows contractor says he can attach the nailing fin with pop rivets as the 400 doesn't have an accessory slot. Anyone have any experience with this? Last thing I want to do is have a bolt-on type approach and have another problem down the road or invalidate a warranty. Any insights appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Can nailing flange be added to OKNA 400?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 400 does not have the clip in flange option.

There are adhesives and other applied flashing materials that could be adapted. A welded or securely clipped in flange is preferable.

All of that being said, you can easily flash that opening without a flange.

Applied tapes and glues were not used 50 years ago and less homes leaked back then if you ask me.

They were built like dung to start with.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

"The nailing fin with pop rivets" OKNA's field applied nailing flange for the 800 series mechanically attaches via the face accessory groove on the 800 series. The 400 series has a completely different frame that doesn't feature any type of accessory groove. It simply will not work.

Personally, I'd put some sort of glue and screwed face trim board that jumped the edge of the replacement window and cap it with a return to the face of the sheathing bend that could be taped. Once caulked and done correctly it is real close to a nailing flange.

JDog77

#4 Post by JDog77 »

thx for the replies. Although it sounds like the windows could still be flashed and some creative field work could simulate a nailing flange, a factory made fully extruded frame w fin is the best choice.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

DM is right on. Anything can be done, but its not your everyday installer that will get an application like this done properly and water-tight.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

a flanged window can be installed incorrectly and leak to.
The point is that you need a great installer.

theWindowNERD