19 Replacement windows in Michigan.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
qidwhy

19 Replacement windows in Michigan.

#1 Post by qidwhy »

Just had a quote done today for 19 double hung windows. Heard good things about Soft-lite here so I decided to give a local installer a call.

For 19 double hung Barringtons installed( one casement, and a few tempered )my quote came to $10,849.
I'm looking for something budget conscious. This is something for my mothers house 1998 (build two story in the metro detroit area).

Is this a competitive quote?

Is there a window/installer /manufacturer I should look into?

I'm trying to get the best value on a good budget for her, and maybe financing if available and at a good deal.

I know home depot carries simonton, are they generally more expensive than this quote?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

randy

Re: 19 Replacement windows in Michigan.

#2 Post by randy »

Soft-lite makes some very good windows, but Barrington isn't one of them. For tighter budgets, Simonton's 5500 or Prism Gold would be good alternatives. You might look for an Okna dealer in your area for another option.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

As always, good feedback from Randy.

The Barrington is the bottom of the Soft-Lite offering for certain and pales in comparison to some of their upper end units.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
Does this dealer offer one of SL's higher lines?

qidwhy

#5 Post by qidwhy »

randy wrote:Soft-lite makes some very good windows, but Barrington isn't one of them. For tighter budgets, Simonton's 5500 or Prism Gold would be good alternatives. You might look for an Okna dealer in your area for another option.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes they do offer other SL lines. the Classic line is about $900 more but the dealer who was quite honest said that the foam in the sill wasn't going to be a big difference in the long run. Imperial line was about $400 more per window.

Is the Simonton 9500 or Gold more cost effective? around the same cost and a better product? Home Depot is a supplier and I feel like I can get a better price through them maybe.

I tried finding a Okna dealer in michigan. No dice. I don't think they serve Michigan?

They don't plan on being in their house for more than 7-8 years if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

randy

#6 Post by randy »

$400.00 more per window for Imperial LS is too high for me. Is there another Soft-lite dealer in the area that you could get a quote from?

Simonton makes a decent mid-grade window, but I would never recommend getting them installed through one of the big box stores. You'd be much better off getting a window professional to do the job.

You might also try looking for a Sunrise dealer, their based in Temperance, MI and they make some really good windows as well.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I think the Barrington would be not that bad, it would have better performance numbers than the Simonton and would offer a different look with it's slim frame. The Classic is a decent window especially if you load it like the Pro-series, better yet just get the Pro as it is very good at what it does. All of these windows including the Simonton's should be ordered with sash reinforcement( Standard on the Pro) and look at the glass and spacer upgrades as well.

qidwhy

#8 Post by qidwhy »

So received a quote for the Simonton 5500 from the only supplier in the area that was willing to get the windows direct for me.

For all the windows minus the kitchen casement which i think I am going to keep, since its nice and sealed, it came out to $4700 including tax. The 5500 is the only line they sell.

--Are there any upgrades I should/can request from simonton to make them more efficient?

I can't believe how low the quote was. I am thinking about purchasing these windows and finding a master installer in my area.

--What is the price range with experience should charge me to install these windows?

Still considering sunrise.

--If I go with sunrise, whats the best bang for my buck mid-level window line I should request a quote for? I can't afford a top of the line since i hear they are expensive. There are so many and their website is vague.

I need to keep in my budget.

Once again your site has been huge help! Thanks so much!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

As far as Sunrise goes, I would stick with the upper lines and opt for the reinforcement.

Restorations is their flagship. The top 3 lines are based on the same extrusion and just have different options.

Do not touch the "Essentials" with a 10' pole though.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Restorations and Vanguard are the best. Sunrise base is fine although I prefer the reinforced iterations from that manufacturer. Don't consider the Essentials

qidwhy

#11 Post by qidwhy »

I put in for quotes for the sunrise windows. Does sunrise sell their windows factory direct by chance? I guess I will call the factory tomorrow.

Also if I were to go with the Simonton 5500's what upgrades would you recommend for the Michigan climates? Supercept? What else. Im very window illiterate when it comes to upgrades.

Once again,

Thanks guys!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

I would much rather see you stick with Sunrise. Unfortunatelly they dont sell direct, you need to go through a dealer.
To me, simonton is a very bulky,outdated design that lacks performance. I am not only referencing the uFactor, but their very high air infiltration rating.
As far as upgrades, i guess you can ask for double strength glass, sash reinforcement, and supercept. Simonton does not offer foam filled frames which is unfortunate.