Need help finding a window in Louisiana

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ibryant

Need help finding a window in Louisiana

#1 Post by ibryant »

I have been doing lots of research to try to find some great windows for my house I'm renovating. It it hot and humid here aobut 70-75% of the time and rest its in the 30-40 degree range. My goal in mind is the make the house as energy efficient to cut down on $300+ a month electricity bills. We went to all the big box retailers in the area HD and Lowes. They offer the standard builder's vinyl windows as well as special order Anderson, Pella, Jeld-Wen....etc. I like the Pella 450 series from what I have read and the Jeld-Wen V-4500 comes highly recommended by a few contractors here. With that being said Pella is about $80 more than Jeld-Wen when priced out with similar specs/options. Since then I have read nothing be negative things about Jeld-Wen. So I'm at a total loss of where to go from here. Any suggestions? Most of the brands mentioned here do not seem to be offered down here. If any of you guys are located near by please message or post so I can pick your brain.

Huge thanks in advance!

randy

Re: Need help finding a window in Louisiana

#2 Post by randy »

Don Young and NT are 2 Texas brands that are available there. They are both worth getting quotes on as mid-grade quality vinyl windows. Additionally, Don Young has a great thermally-broken aluminum window that is worth considering as well. Purchasing windows through the big box stores rarely goes well.

ibryant

#3 Post by ibryant »

Will those brands hold up well? Also what do you guys think about fiberglass windows?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

They'll hold up as well as any of the other lines you mentioned. If that is your primary concern, I'd suggest thermally-broken aluminum, as it will last as long as your house. You are giving up some efficiency, but it's minimal and the strength and rigidity are far superior. About 70% of my sales are aluminum, and my preferred product is Don Young's single hung series.

I like fiberglass but it's often hard to justify the significantly higher prices.