Synergy NGT

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
udeyhawk

Synergy NGT

#1 Post by udeyhawk »

I had a local contractor that is highly rated on Angie's list provide me a quote today for some options to replace 5 Windows. They offer soft-lite and other companies, but also have some private label options. The first is called valley brook and seems to be the Soft-lite Pro. Seems like a nice window. The other one that I am intrigued by is called Synergy NGT, which I think is made by AMI. It lists a U-factor of .27, SHGC of .21 and air infiltration of .04 and VT of .48. These seem like great stats for a window that is priced almost $100 cheaper per window than the Valley Brook. I can't find anything on it. Any thoughts?

Windows on Washington

Re: Synergy NGT

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

AMI usually equals Associated Materials Incorporated...i.e. Alside's parent company.

If they quote Soft-Lite, have them quote you something from the Imperial LS or the Elements.

udeyhawk

#3 Post by udeyhawk »

The problem is that I was not wanting to spend the amount quoted for the ValleyBrook/Soft-lite Pro....and he said that Imperial LS would be more. One of the windows that I am replacing is a large Picture window(~ 55x65 inches) that is right at 18 inches off the ground. He said that Soft-lite has the largest upcharge for Tempered glass(it was $475 just for the tempered upgrade on that one window)

He is going to send me the breakout, but the current quote is roughly $4500 for 4 DH and 1 picture all tempered in the ValleyBrook/Pro and ~$3500 for the same in this Synergy NGT. He also quoted ~$2600 for a ViWinTech Ultra option, but I think that one just looks way cheaper than even the Synergy NGT.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located regionally? Unless you are in a warmer climate that .21shgc may actually be detrimental to overall efficiency. The extra coat of low-e makes the u factor look better, but that low shgc takes back the efficiency that you would've gained. I don't know exactly what product this may be, but this is a tactic typically used to make a window that is mediocre or worse look like a superior performer.

udeyhawk

#5 Post by udeyhawk »

I am in the Kansas City area. These are going in a huge 1000 sq ft great room with skylights and vaulted ceiling. With the current windows and skylights, the AC can't keep up in the summer and it feels really drafty and cold in the winter(currently crappy wood windows). I am more concerned with helping to keep the room cool in the summer because we like to keep the house pretty cool all year around(Thermastat set to 65 in winter). I will also be replacing the 2 skylights through a different company.

Since my original post, the other contractor that I was working with called with some other options from their original Heartland Hampton quote. She can also get Soft-lite, but said the Soft-lite pro was about $199 more per window than Simonton 5500. I asked her to pull together a quote on the Simonton 5500 and the Polaris UltraWeld that she also offered to price.

udeyhawk

#6 Post by udeyhawk »

If I was able to get the CPD, would you guys be able to better tell what this window really compares to? It looks really sharp with clean welds on the outside...much cleaner than the Simonton 5500 that I looked at and the performance numbers seem strong on the surface.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

CPD number and the AAMA test report (to verify air leakage and DP) would be best.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Regardless of whether the glass might actually fit your preferences better, the fact remains that the u factor becomes much less impressive when that glass package is taken into consideration.... As WoW stated though, the CPD number and structural performance data report will tell a bit more.

udeyhawk

#9 Post by udeyhawk »

I haven't received the CPD yet, but I compared the brochure images and performance. The Synergy NGT appears to be the Alside Mezzo with the upgraded glass package and super spacer. So the options that I have currently received quotes are as follows for 4 dh and 1 large picture window with tempered glass:

Synergy NGT/Alside Mezzo $3300
Valley Brook/Soft-lite Pro $3825
Polaris UltraWeld $3100

Any recommendation between these 3?. Any others I should get quoted that won't be notably higher?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

UltraWeld is the best of that bunch by a good margin.

udeyhawk

#11 Post by udeyhawk »

Thanks WoW. Are there any upgrades or glass packages you recommend on the UltraWeld for someone in Kansas? She listed EnergySmart glass, which appears to be the base offering. I really appreciate your help.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kansas gets pretty darn cold. I don't think triple pane would be overkill in this situation in the least.

Inquire about their triple pane option.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice from WoW, I'd agree. The Ultraweld is on the fringe of the top performers on the market. The Pro is a step down, followed then by the Mezzo IMO.

udeyhawk

#14 Post by udeyhawk »

I had another company come by today for a 3rd quote that sells Simonton and Polaris. He was pushing that the Simonton 5500 was a much better window than the Ultraweld and the Simonton was $40 more. It seems like that isn't the view of folks on this board.

He quoted triple pane as a $50 upgrade per double hung over double pane. Does that seem like a worthwhile upgrade for a 1000 sq ft great room that faces south in Kansas?

One idea of his that my wife loved was to do casement instead of double hung as we have 3 acres and would have cleaner site lines of our backyard view. The triple pane casement was $140 more per window than the triple pane double hung. Does that sound about right? He said that casement would be more energy efficient than double hung. Do you guys agree?

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

He is incorrect in this comparison.

The UltraWeld is the better window by a decent margin over the 5500.

Ask for the UW with a triple pane option.