To Cap or not to cap

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
udeyhawk

To Cap or not to cap

#1 Post by udeyhawk »

I have had two different opinions provided by two different highly rated contractors in my area. We bought our home a year ago and as part of the sales contract, the previous owner had a professional repair the wood rot on all window sills/brick moulding....so they are in good shape. One contractor still believes that I should have them install the performanceG8 capping and the other said that they would ultimately recommend replacing the moulding with rot-free brick molding....they wouldn't recommend installing capping or doing anything now since it was just replaced.

So my question.... I get it that there is some longer term benefit to the capping to prevent the existing moulding from rotting, but with it being relatively new is there any strong reason to go ahead and do the capping now versus just installing and then doing the rot-free brick moulding at the point that we begin to get rot on this existing stuff? From what I have seen in showrooms, I like the look of the brick moulding more than the capping.

Windows on Washington

Re: To Cap or not to cap

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would cap.

Much more seamless and will make it more bullet proof in the long term.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Like all things there are hacks and masters.
A brake buddy or similar that makes BM profile in the metal is the best.
Capping done well should yield 20years trouble free beauty.
theWindowNERD

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

vinyl molding doesn't always work well depending on what you have for trim now. There are valid reasons for going any of the ways mentioned. What will you do with the rest of the trim on your house? match coil to it or new color? It is just as or even more important that they install the coil correctly than the window.