Rain after window installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jules

Rain after window installation

#1 Post by Jules »

Hi, I have a few questions about some windows that were replaced. Yesterday we had 7 windows replaced in our home with 3 Milgard Fiberglass wood clad, and 4 Simonton Vinyl daylight max windows. Sometime around midnight (probably 6 hours after that last windows was installed) it started to rain. Now I'm concerned that the caulking & anything else they used, may have not been fully dry by the time it started to rain.
Because it rained so soon after the windows were installed, could there be problems with the windows because maybe not everything was dry? Does the caulk installers use for windows dry right away?
2)also, Now that it has rained, how can I determine if there are water leaks due to poor installation and/or the fact it rained soon after? Will the leaks be immediately visible on the inside of my home?
Sorry about all the questions, but this is the first time I had my windows replaced and I just need peace of mind. Thank you for your help!

Delaware Mike

Re: Rain after window installation

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I wouldn't worry. The modern exterior hybrid poly and silicone sealants skin over real fast. Most of the stuff we use can be appreciated even in the rain and snow within reason as long as the surface is somewhat dry.

You would see a gap if something wasn't right as in the bead was applied too narrow or overly tooled. Another cause of sealant failure would be not cleaning the surfaces that the sealant is applied to thoroughly or if a cleaner such as paint thinner/mineral spirits or Spray Nine still was on that surface and dried or cleaned off. I'm sure if your crew was experienced you have nothing to worry about.

Exterior sealants don't wash right off with water like latex interior painter's caulk.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Most newer sealants are not supremely sensitive to a little bit of moisture. Helps them cure in some cases.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

No worries at all. We sometimes do the actual install during light rain and never have issues.
We get that question a lot. The only issue with installing windows with some rain is my guys get a bit wet. If sealants only worked in dry weather, no one would ever go to work.
These sealants are made for withstanding very harsh weather conditions.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

One more vote for reassurance here... As long as these were professionals using professional grade materials, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This is a regular occurrence.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Silicones do not adhere if the surface they are applied to is wet.
If latex was being used it will "melt" or wash away.
Even if it was an issue it could be resealed.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

As all the other guys said, some rain will NOT affect the sealants. No need to worry.