confused and overwhelmed - need advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Chad in Minnesota

confused and overwhelmed - need advice

#1 Post by Chad in Minnesota »

You guys probably hear this all the time. I'm looking to replace a few of our windows and I'm finding the process confusing and overwhelming. I managed to avoid the door to door salesman after setting up an initial appointment. That inspired me to do some research on my own. I found The Window Dog and he had some good advice on what to avoid. However, many of his reviews don't match up with what people on these boards are saying. For example, he likes Alside (he's upfront that he sell them), but here they'd frowned upon.

Anyway, we got a quote from a contractor that'd we've used for a kitchen remodel. He does good work, but his quote seemed high. We're replacing six 60x30 DH and two 36x22 DH and his quote for Alside Mezzo was $5880. At $735 per window, installed, this seems high, especially if they're not that great of a window. One thing that bothered me is that his quote didn't split out any of the costs (windows/labor/etc.) When I asked him to split it, it came to $3220 for windows and $2660 for labor/permits/disposal. Thoughts?

So some rambling questions; do I ask the same contractor if he has better windows? It seems that Sunrise are highly thought of here, do I find a contractor that installs them? Or do I reach out to the Sunrise rep and see who he sells to that would install them?

I've been on Angie's List, but even if I find a reputable contractor, it's hard to tell what products they install.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Delaware Mike

Re: confused and overwhelmed - need advice

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Clear.
Last edited by Delaware Mike on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chad in Minnesota

#3 Post by Chad in Minnesota »

I've found 4 contractors that have very good ratings on Angie's list and offer a variety of products; Sunrise, Vista, Soft-Lite, Provia, Lindsay, Heartland. They should all be out with the next week or so.

Once I get some quotes I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I just have to say this board is a wealth of information and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Chad, I'd say that you are on the right track in getting a few more quotes for comparison. Post back with questions.