New bay window in CT, what questions to ask?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
blued21

New bay window in CT, what questions to ask?

#1 Post by blued21 »

Hi, we are looking to replace a 96"W, 58"H window with a 45 degree bay window. The current window is a picture window with 2 small double hung windows on either side. The soffit is only about 6" deep, so we'll need a full roof built over the window, but there should be plenty of space below the roof to build it. We also have aluminum siding on the exterior of the house, which is a cape.

We started down the wrong path by inviting Renewal by Andersen for 2 1/2 hours of torture, but then had a local company and Pella quote us more reasonable options. The local company uses Alside Mezzo and after researching that brand and the Pella 250 series, I was led to a few different forums (including this one) that recommended the Okna 500/800 series. I found a couple contractors in CT that carry Okna, but before I invite them to come quote, I'd like to know the questions I should ask to determine who is going to give us a good installation.

Also, will the new window require bracing underneath? RbyA said no, they use special eyehooks to screw into the top of the window and airplane wire to connect into the rafters. Both local and Pella said bracing support underneath would be required in addition to the cables above. Neither touted the strength of their wire, though. :roll:

Additionally, is there a contractor on this board that does replacement windows in SW CT?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(edited to add clarity)
Last edited by blued21 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

Re: New bay window in CT, what questions to ask?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Every manufacturer and window dealer has different policies regarding how to properly support bays and bows. Since virtually every installation is different it's more of a field decision by a competent professional as to use a cable or chain support system (if even possible) or knee braces. Some situations require both.

The size and quality of the unit weighs into the equation as does how the crew is going to anchor the unit to the rough opening. If we think dogs and kids are going to mess with the seat (not a good idea) we definitely would be doing both. I kind of prefer to just do a cable or chain support system myself. I also prefer chain and turnbuckle upgrade over the standard cable and cleats that most units come with.

Leave it to RBA to utilize the term "airplane wire." Never heard that one before. I surprised that they didn't call it "space shuttle" wire from Nasa.

OKNA's bays and bows have a unique insulted plywood construction that is super thick compared to the rest of the industry. They sandwich foam insulation board between two layers of plywood for the head and seat. This is mostly a great idea. The only glitch is covering old paint and caulk scars with the new trim casings. Sometimes the standard 2.25" to 3.50" doesn't cover everything which can require a little joint compound, sanding, and paint work, or really wide trim.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Turnbuckles and suspension wires are fine for supporting bay windows if there is an overhang and it can be tied to structure. If you are merely bolting it back to a horizontal wall and holding it via wire at the horizontal, I would prefer some kneebraces at that point.

blued21

#4 Post by blued21 »

Delaware Mike wrote:Every manufacturer and window dealer has different policies regarding how to properly support bays and bows. Since virtually every installation is different it's more of a field decision by a competent professional as to use a cable or chain support system (if even possible) or knee braces. Some situations require both.

The size and quality of the unit weighs into the equation as does how the crew is going to anchor the unit to the rough opening. If we think dogs and kids are going to mess with the seat (not a good idea) we definitely would be doing both. I kind of prefer to just do a cable or chain support system myself. I also prefer chain and turnbuckle upgrade over the standard cable and cleats that most units come with.

Leave it to RBA to utilize the term "airplane wire." Never heard that one before. I surprised that they didn't call it "space shuttle" wire from Nasa.

OKNA's bays and bows have a unique insulted plywood construction that is super thick compared to the rest of the industry. They sandwich foam insulation board between two layers of plywood for the head and seat. This is mostly a great idea. The only glitch is covering old paint and caulk scars with the new trim casings. Sometimes the standard 2.25" to 3.50" doesn't cover everything which can require a little joint compound, sanding, and paint work, or really wide trim.

Thanks for this info. We will definitely have the potential of dogs and kids on the seat, so I want it supported as strongly as necessary. Would be nice to lose the lower braces for cosmetic reasons, so if there's a way to increase strength with top supports, that would be a benefit.
Last edited by blued21 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blued21

#5 Post by blued21 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Turnbuckles and suspension wires are fine for supporting bay windows if there is an overhang and it can be tied to structure. If you are merely bolting it back to a horizontal wall and holding it via wire at the horizontal, I would prefer some kneebraces at that point.
This is what the local contractor said. We do not have this possibility. RbyA mentioned something about tying back up into the roof structure somehow, not into the vertical wall.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tying to the roof structure is actually the more proper connection. The vertical wall tie in is not correct in my opinion and not ultimately stable.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With a 45* bay that wide you are going to have a nice projection.
USE BOTH cables and knee braces.
Everything has to be done right:
the knee braces have to be sturdy enough and have solid support behind them. I have seen many knee braces against the siding and or foam sheathing, may as well left them off.
Can't remember using chains. But cables over time will stretch even when properly loaded.
So for me it is knee braces only, which I built on site. Or knee braces and cable.
I will not warranty cables only.

theWindowNerd.