Capping over existing capping

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Gnarble

Capping over existing capping

#1 Post by Gnarble »

Hi. New member here - I searched the forum (and elsewhere) but I can't find an answer to my question, so here goes.

My home has aluminum capping that was installed over wood brickmold when storm windows were added to the original garbage builder's grade windows. I'm having vinyl replacement (inserts) installed and I wanted to know what the standard practice is for dealing with this. Is it OK to install new capping over the existing capping or should the original capping be removed? I have received differing opinions on this. The house has aluminum siding that originally butted up against the brickmold..no J channel.

Thanks in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: Capping over existing capping

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Old capping will usually come off and get thrown in the recycling bin.

Better to remove it in my opinion but posting up a picture of the window/trim interface might help get some more direct feedback.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

In the past I've planned on attempting to jump the old capping on projects prior to starting the capping process. However, once I've gotten into the installation process of the windows I've always used my better judgement and removed the old capping as I've found that I can't achieve the kind of outcome that I expect with the previous capping in place.

I've removed quite a bit of windows that have double capping and sometimes guys get away with it, just not me.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

You can definitely install over existing capping in my opinion and its very common to do so, even amongst the most seasoned installers, especially if the aluminum is tucked behind old aluminum siding like your is. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it unless you notice a bunch of rotted sills which may indicate ubiquitous wood rot which isnt too common.
Sealing the window with proper sealants and insulating with foam is much more important.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

No definitive consensus as you can see. Would you be out of line in requesting that it be taken off? No. Is a guy a total hack if he wants to go over it after careful analysis of the situation at hand? No.
Like the other guys, I generally tear it off to ensure the best possible finished product and to inspect underneath, however there are times where we have gone over it when it is pretty clear that things are looking to be in good condition and it will clearly not impede the new trim look or function.
The main thing is that the trim is properly integrated into the flashing system of the opening, and then that the appearance is professional.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Both are acceptable. Actual conditions and outcome are what guides in the decision.

theWindowNerd.