Vinyl Windows In Brick Opening

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
patrick85

Vinyl Windows In Brick Opening

#1 Post by patrick85 »

My house was built in 2003 all brick house I'm removing vinyl new construction single hungs and replacing with vinyl double hungs, but the worst part is trying to remove the old window what I'm doing is taking a sawzall on the sides then using a osilating tool on the bottom and top so I don't mar up my lintel or the concrete sill

My original idea was taking out the bottom sashes then removing the glass on the top half because they are single hungs then just cut the mulls in half then pry out but the glass is siliconed in so bad that becomes a different kind of mess so what do guys think

Delaware Mike

Re: Vinyl Windows In Brick Opening

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Patrick,

You have the right idea. We tear those out all of the time. If you want to take those top IG units for safety reasons, or frame collapse you will need to break the silicone seal with either a break away long blade razor knife which is found in the paint aisles of hardware or box store, or a professional deglazing tool. It tends to build up in the corners so pay special attention to really addressing them. I've found that a thin 3" putty knife can work too especially is you sharpen the edge. I don't see these low-grade vinyl single hung units being glazed with double sided glazing tape that often.

Make sure that you inject low-expansion spray foam around the new window as the flange seal is now not intact. We don't just relay upon face caulking in these types of retrofits but it sounds like you have a solid game plan.

Delaware Mike

Re: Vinyl Windows In Brick Opening

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Patrick,

You have the right idea. We tear those out all of the time. If you want to take those top IG units for safety reasons, or frame collapse you will need to break the silicone seal with either a break away long blade razor knife which is found in the paint aisles of hardware or box store, or a professional deglazing tool. It tends to build up in the corners so pay special attention to really addressing them. I've found that a thin 3" putty knife can work too especially is you sharpen the edge. I don't see these low-grade vinyl single hung units being glazed with double sided glazing tape that often.

Make sure that you inject low-expansion spray foam around the new window as the flange seal is now not intact. We don't just relay upon face caulking in these types of retrofits but it sounds like you have a solid game plan.