Replacing aluminium framed windows by vinyl

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Robert Davis

Replacing aluminium framed windows by vinyl

#1 Post by Robert Davis »

I am thinking about replacing the Aluminium framed windows of my office room by vinyl.. But I have heard that vinyl is very sensitive to atmospheric conditions. My plan is to finish the work before next rainy season. I need a good company which can give me an expert advice regarding this .Some of my friends suggested to contact Canglow Windows and door experts in Edmonton. Anybody knows them ? Is there any other such experts in Canada ? Please help me ..

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing aluminium framed windows by vinyl

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vinyl is no more or less sensitive to atmospheric conditions than is aluminum.

Are you settled on a material type? If you are in Canada, I don't know the suppliers up there to well to make recommendations.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Aluminum is a notorious conductor of cold, i would err on the side of caution when considering that for a climate such as canada's.
A high end, well constructed vinyl offering would be a good choice as well as fiberglass.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Depending on the size. color and function of the windows I would look at vinyl first then at fiberglass. A high performance vinyl window will probably be the best choice.
I would look for the following things in the product itself: low air infiltration test results( in the US .05 or less), this test result is normally found under the structural test of the unit, triple glazed with non metallic spacer, foam filled frame, lifetime warranty from a stable company.
You may have done half the work once you find the product, now you need to find an excellent installer.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Only reason to consider aluminum would be if this is a commercial application (mentioned office room?), where there may be other considerations beyond energy efficiency and cost. If not, I'd strongly agree with the others. Aluminum windows are fairly obsolete outside of commercial use in colder climates.