okna 500 or SoftLite elements for $900.00 more

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hipcheck41

okna 500 or SoftLite elements for $900.00 more

#1 Post by hipcheck41 »

Hello,

Happy New Year! I am having 16 windows installed. I was able to get what seems to be a great deal on the SoftLite elements windows. The quote was $900.00 more than the Okna 500 w/ Deluxe package. Is the $900.00 worth spending for the Elements?

Any input would be helpful

Thank you.

HomeSealed

Re: okna 500 or SoftLite elements for $900.00 more

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The short answer is no. The 500 has an advantage in u factor and very similar on air leakage. You will also get a slimmer lined product with more glass. That said, the Elements is an excellent window as well and would also be a good choice.

Here are a few other things to consider:
-The real apples to apples comparison would be the Okna 800. That is Okna's flagship vinyl line compared to the Elements which is SL's flagship. Depending on the option content however, the $$$ saved by using the 500dx can be very appealing for similar performance.

-Secondly and perhaps more importantly, would be to give further thought to the company installing these products. Installation is a critical component of this purchase, as is dealing with a trustworthy company. This aspect alone could easily justify a price premium, or make the less expensive option even more of a homerun if you feel that is the company that you are more comfortable with.

hipcheck41

#3 Post by hipcheck41 »

Thank you very much for the reply. The reason I thought the $900.00 extra may be worth it was due to:

Elements has the no fault glass breakage Okna does not
Elements is the flagship and Okna 500 is one level down from their flagship 800
Elements has a lower air infiltration than the 500

I wish I was leaning toward one installer over the other but they are both professional and competent. The Okna quote was from the owner who is an actual installer for many years the softlite quote was from the owner but more of a sales person than an installer. The Okna installer stated he never hears backs from clients with problems from that window and that is why he carries it. He never hears from them again unless they need new windows and stated he has installed many other brands including Sunrise, marvin and softlite and there were problems than with Okna although he did say they were also good windows and would install any brand I want.

So, in your expert opinion the elements may not justify the $900.00 cost difference as the okna is on par or beats slightly.

I really appreciate your help. Decisions decisions.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like two awesome choices either way. Pretty much can't loose in this comparison.

If you like the slimmer profile...not to the 500
If you like the slightly tighter air number...nod to the Elements

The glass breakage thing is a bit hinky to me. We offer it as a standard through us because we have only had to replace two sashes in 10 years. Its easy and gives the clients a slightly better warm and fuzzy.

I don't think you can wrong either way.

Post up some follow up pictures when you are done.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You will not make a mistake with either choice.
Personally I tip the hat to Okna 800DX.