triple pane vs double pane

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BearBoy1090

triple pane vs double pane

#1 Post by BearBoy1090 »

I live in southern Wisconsin and wondering if the triple pane window is worth the upgrade. I have had the Okna 800 series windows quoted (19 double hung and 3 picture) for $19,500. The double pane is approximately $2800 cheaper. I am thinking of having another company quote out a Simonton window. That company is offering a free upgrade to triple pane.

Any and all thoughts on this would be appreciated.

thanks

randy

Re: triple pane vs double pane

#2 Post by randy »

First, the Okna 800 is one of the best performing windows in the industry, certainly far superior to anything Simonton offers. Second, in your region of the country, triple pane is the way to go for maximum efficiency. Last, installation is every bit as critical as the window you choose, so if HomeSealed serves your area of Wisconsin I'd have him out for a consultation. He offers the Okna line of windows and his installation procedures are top notch. He's a regular contributor here, and you can contact him by clicking on the "get a quote" button by one of his posts on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6364
Last edited by randy on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Great advice. In Wisconsin, Triple pane is a must if you ask me.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

You may be getting free triple pane with simonton but that comes with a huge price tag: Simonton have very high air infiltration numbers. This will mitigate any additional performance you would get with triple glass in a simonton window. Its also a very bulky and outdated design.
If you can get the okna, i would do it in a heart beat. They have one of the lowest air infiltration rating in the industry.
I second the advice above regarding HomeSealed.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What are your current windows?
What is your goal?
The 800DX is such a draft free window that you will feel more comfortable with even the double pane.
You are only going to do this once so if you can afford it then do the TP, if not you still have a huge gain in comfort and performance.
I would not consider a window that was not at least .05 or < in air infiltration.
theWindowNerd

BearBoy1090

#6 Post by BearBoy1090 »

Thank you all for the advice so far. In addition, I have contacted Homesealed. They don't service my area. They suggested a different company.

Windownerd, you asked what my current windows were. I have an unknown Pella series from 2004 (I bought a spec home in 2007 and the original contractor isn't around). They are a wood window that moisture continues to stain. I cannot keep them dry enough even though the humidity is around 30% in the home. In addition, I can feel wind coming through. My goal is to make the home more efficient and stop having to try to finish windows each summer.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Andersen makes an exterior storm for their windows.

I wonder if Pella has that option as well. The windows aren't that old, but I fully appreciate your issues and frustration.

You are well advised to look for an airtight, insulated, triple pane unit when it comes to your replacement choices.

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

Okna by far in that comparison. Not in the same league.
I'd agree, get triple pane

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With your exterior temps that humidity seems high.
Do you have a humidifier?
Even vinyl windows will get condensation if there is to much humidity in the house. The finish will not get wrecked or rot, but it can grow mold.

BearBoy1090

#10 Post by BearBoy1090 »

Windownerd, I have found the average house should be between 20 and 35% humidity and anything lower than 20% people start to have respiratory problems. I am running a dehumidifier in the room with the most moisture. I have recently learned a great deal about how to use my furnace fan as well as how to better use the air to air exchanger. I understand without getting the humidity better, I will still have condensation on vinyl. I at least can wipe them down which should keep them dryer.

Windows on Washington, I thought about the storms. Wouldn't I still have the same issue with the staining and refinishing though?

thanks again

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not necessarily. The Andersen storm is in replacement of the exterior screen. That additional air/insulation barrier should make the interior surfaces warmer and therefore more resistant to condensation formation.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

The condensation will accumulate then on the storm unit instead of the interior of the prime unit. It can "help" in that regard and will be more efficient, but is somewhat of a bandaid IMO, unless the existing windows are really in great shape. I would only consider this if it is a unit made and approved by the manufacturer. There are a host of other issues that could arise if you were simply to slap a storm window on there.

Let me know if there is any other way that I can help. I don't give out personal referrals lightly, so please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I was just answering the primary question about interior condensation. If the primary window is loose and leaks air, the condensing surface is going to be on the storm window at that point.

Not really a fix, but more like a can kicking down the road.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

FYI pella does not have exterior storm windows.

Guy

#15 Post by Guy »

your existing Pella windows will have issues for ever. Those early 2000 years were not a good product. Pella tried using a wood preservative on their windows which failed big time. I guess Pella didn't learn from Marvin's crash from years ago. I highly recommend replacing them. As for triple pane verses double pane, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I live in the Northern suburbs of the Twin Cities in your neighboring state MN. I experimented on my own home a couple years back. I put two triple paned DH next to two Double paned in my MBR. I followed them closely paying attention to everything. I only noticed two things that differed from one to the other. The Triple units were a bit quieter from outdoor sound, and I never visualized any moisture or ice build up on the inside no matter what. I could keep the shades drawn for days and never get any moisture build up any where. The doubles would get a small moisture build up in the bottom corners of the lower sash, on the glass. Just a faint amount. I took glass temps during extreme cold weather and high heat. During the cold weather the glass would only vary no more than two degrees. I just couldn't see that much of a difference to cause me to push one over the other. If you live in an area that is loud I'd go Triple Pane. Otherwise I'm not sure you'll make that money back. it could be much different depending on your house vs mine. My home has all the best products I could afford. Plus my HVAC is state of the art and my home is about as air tight as the get. Being a GC gives me an edge over the norm. I did a lot of work for Pella in my day. They gave me the new designer series windows for my experiment. They were installed identically during an addition I put on the house. This is just my opinion though. Good Luck!!!