Good price on OKNA 400?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
trehlo

Good price on OKNA 400?

#1 Post by trehlo »

My wife and I recently purchased a new-to-us home, with original builder grade windows. We thought we'd be able to squeeze out a few winters with them, but when the outside temperature gets into the teens, the furnace can't keep up with the cold air the windows are letting in and the first floor (on a slab) freezes.

I've priced out a couple of options from a few local contractors, and decided to go with OKNA 400 series windows, with the Deluxe upgrade. We have 9 windows downstairs, which is all we can afford at the moment. 8 of them are the same size at roughly 36x58, and one is a smaller laundry room window. We were quoted $440 per window, installed. The price seems fair, but I'm not an expert.

How does that number sound? And should there be a difference in price per window between the 8 larger windows, and the 1 smaller window?

Thanks
Last edited by trehlo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill

Re: Good price on OKNA 400?

#2 Post by Bill »

Your price is very fair. There may be a small difference in price between the larger and smaller window.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd venture to say that it is on the low side even, not going to find a much better deal than that.
Have you seen the 500? Personally I prefer the 500 for a small premium if available.

Lastly, on size, that can vary from one dealer to the next. They could be set up on 0-101 pricing where they pay the same for any window under 101 united inches, or perhaps they structure their own pricing that way. At worst, window prices are tiered, so there will always be a range of size at a given price.

trehlo

#4 Post by trehlo »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd venture to say that it is on the low side even, not going to find a much better deal than that.
Have you seen the 500? Personally I prefer the 500 for a small premium if available.

Lastly, on size, that can vary from one dealer to the next. They could be set up on 0-101 pricing where they pay the same for any window under 101 united inches, or perhaps they structure their own pricing that way. At worst, window prices are tiered, so there will always be a range of size at a given price.
This contractor did show me the 500 alongside the 400. He was a big fan of 500, and I was impressed with the additional features. When we get down to it though, we're on a tight budget, and are really just looking for the best value we can afford. The 400 seemed like the better fit for us right now.

The 0-101 pricing structure is interesting.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I usually show my customers the okna 800 first and then show the other okna's. Your price is good.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Tell him how much you like the 500 and see if there is anything he can do. The 400 is fine, but the 500 really is a damn good window. Based on the pricing that he gave you for the 400, you would likely pay no more than a "mid grade" price for an exceptional window in the 500. Remember that this is a large investment for an item that should serve you for many years. I'd personally bump up to the 500 for a little more.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

That is a good price and not the norm from what I've seen. I'm assuming the installation process must be very basic.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Are they doing windows with nailing fins / full replacements at that price?

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

They can't be Todd. I'm thinking a caulk and walk type deal with sort of a transitional cap from the new window and tucked under the j-channel? The 400 has no factory option for a flange and the 500 becomes the 550 as new construction.

When I hear builder's grade these days I think of flanged low-end vinyl, however the homeowner may just be referring to a failing wood window from 20-30 years ago?

trehlo

#10 Post by trehlo »

HomeSealed wrote:Tell him how much you like the 500 and see if there is anything he can do. The 400 is fine, but the 500 really is a damn good window. Based on the pricing that he gave you for the 400, you would likely pay no more than a "mid grade" price for an exceptional window in the 500. Remember that this is a large investment for an item that should serve you for many years. I'd personally bump up to the 500 for a little more.
Although I'd prefer the 500, it's just not in the budget for us. If I thought waiting a little bit would offer us an opportunity to put some additional money aside to buy a better window, we might do that, but the income isn't there at the moment. The 400 is within our budget, and for the foreseeable future is what we can afford.
Delaware Mike wrote:They can't be Todd. I'm thinking a caulk and walk type deal with sort of a transitional cap from the new window and tucked under the j-channel? The 400 has no factory option for a flange and the 500 becomes the 550 as new construction.

When I hear builder's grade these days I think of flanged low-end vinyl, however the homeowner may just be referring to a failing wood window from 20-30 years ago?
I don't like the sound of caulk and walk, but I'd assume that's how it will go. Assuming it's done correctly, what are the short term / long term downsides to that kind of installation? Can the 400 be installed any other way?

They are about 20 years old. From what I've been told, they're a cheap bleached composite vinyl. Unfortunately, I don't know the brand, but I know they're not doing their job anymore.
Last edited by trehlo on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Where are you located? Im sure you will get a good job at that price.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

What is the veneer on the house? Vinyl, aluminum, brick, stucco, stone?

trehlo

#13 Post by trehlo »

masterext wrote:Where are you located? Im sure you will get a good job at that price.
Central NJ
Delaware Mike wrote:What is the veneer on the house? Vinyl, aluminum, brick, stucco, stone?
Vinyl

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like they are going to install a slightly downsized unit without a fin/flange into the window pocket? Typically, with this method they will may leave the nailing flange of the existing unit in place as too not disturb the method of which it's flashed to the sheathing. They will cut the vinyl frame out, slip the new window in, figure out a way to seal some capping over the gaps and caulk her up. Pretty common around her and everyone does it. I don't personally only because if the original sealing of the flange of the window might leak down the road anyone associate with touching the windows is to have a finger pointed at them.

At the quoted price I would tend to think that this would be their methodology? To cut back siding and add mechanically fastened trim boards that then would be capped could be an option but now that adds to the cost and alters the appearance of the exterior.

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

Would have to see the opening but am guessing its a simple install.