Rcommendations - Alside v Simonton v Soft-Lite

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cyclonemike

Rcommendations - Alside v Simonton v Soft-Lite

#1 Post by cyclonemike »

I have enjoyed reading opinions and recommendations as a lurker, but now I have my own project upcoming. I am in the metro Kansas City area and have received multiple quotes for replacing 12 double-hung windows, 1 casement, and one 2-lite slider (obscured with tempered glass). All windows in white inside and out. I have not ventured into revisions on different glass packages, but I don't think I am interested in triple-pane - not sure it is needed in KC area. I might want to upgrade the glass in 3 of the double-hung windows to assist in preventing fading of furniture/rugs/etc. All suppliers have quoted capping the installations; however, I am not sold completely on this as I do have Hardie Board siding and either Hardie plank brickmold or PVC brickmold on all windows. Sills and bullnoses are mainly original install, but in good shape. The house is 24-years old and the current windows are single-pane builders-grade wood with storms. I do not anticipate wood rot within the framing, but you never know...

Quotes in average cost per window (I have not negotiated yet):
1. Alside Mezzo - $395/window
2. Alside Ultra-Maxx - $590/window
3. Simonton 5500 - $640/window
4. Simonton 9800 - $640 and $650/window
5. Soft-Lite Imperial LS - $780/window

Thoughts? The first contractor (1) provided me a price sheet on the costs to upgrade window packages, the rest were not as forthcoming. Quotes 3 through 5 are all from Contractors highly rated on Angie's list and all have installs by their employees, versus subcontractors. Quotes 1 and 2 use subcontractors for the work.

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Rcommendations - Alside v Simonton v Soft-Lite

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to sound like a homer, but #5 is the best window on there.

Better thermal and air data than the others.

The others aren't terrible (well I don't like the Ultramaxx), but they aren't upper level performers.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

WoW is right, #5 is the best by a fair bit. However, #4 wouldn't be a bad compromise to save some money. I wouldn't recommend anything from Alside.

matt87

#4 Post by matt87 »

Randy, do you or Anthony serve the Grand Prairie area?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The soft lite is the best by far.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We are no longer servicing TX. Greg moved back to PA is the reason.

As to the OP's choices....
the SL LS is the best by a large margin. I would not put any of the others in my own home.

theWindowNerd

fridge2020

#7 Post by fridge2020 »

Softile is the only one of the bunch that I would install

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Sorry for the slow reply. No we are not serving the DFW market anymore.

cyclonemike

#9 Post by cyclonemike »

Received a couple more bids, one more to share and get feedback on:

6. Sunrise Renovations $670/window. Includes full upgraded screen and colonial interior grids on 5 Windows. Full wrap, also wrap 6 Windows they are not replacing. Local top-rated company on Angie's list, no BBB bad reports, and recommended by a friend in same subdivision. Cardinal 366, I think glass with 12 layer system?

This seems to be the best combination of quality window and price.

Thoughts?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Thats a very good price for a very good window.

cyclonemike

#11 Post by cyclonemike »

Glass question.

Being in the Kansas City area we are in the transition zone for SHGC between the desire to have a higher SHGC for the south windows in the winter and lower SHGC for the summer. With our current windows we typically open the shades on the south side (the areas of our house where we spend 90% of our time when awake!) when the sun is shining in the winter and close the shades when the sun is shining in the summer - if we don't it gets hot fast...

I would like to be able to leave shades open to see outside in the summer.

With that story do you think the Ultra U Plus12 glass is the right choice? U-0.29, SHGC-0.21?

That is what the contractor recommends (I know out neighbor who has the same windows loves the summer energy savings they have seen...).

Thanks!! This forum has been great.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you have clear glass in there now, that section of glass is letting in about 82-85% of the suns radiant energy. You are going to reduce that by nearly 4X.

It will mostly eliminate your passive solar option in the winter, but most homes are neither designed or set up to take advantage of that option.

If the summertime over heating is the issue, the 366 glass will definitely help considerably with that.