Window tints

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
penaddict

Window tints

#1 Post by penaddict »

we have a window above our fireplace that we had previously put a window tint film on. The sunshine is really brightly through this window throughout the day and there's no window covering on it.
Do any window brands have or can be made with a darkening tint?

Windows on Washington

Re: Window tints

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most have a grey or bronze tint available as an option.

Low-e 366 should give you a good bit of solar control to start with.

Applied tint films will void most warranties.

penaddict

#3 Post by penaddict »

Thanks!
We'll go with the bronze for this one window. We watch TV in this area and don't like when the sun hits our eyes as well.

(quote="Windows on Washington"]Most have a grey or bronze tint available as an option.

Low-e 366 should give you a good bit of solar control to start with.

Applied tint films will void most warranties.[/quote]

penaddict

#4 Post by penaddict »

One more question:

This is for a window above the TV. We thought about also adding a bronze tint to it (e 366 glass) (manufacturer tint). Oddly by doing that the SHG goes up a little bit. Is it overkill to do this? Would we see a glare in our eyes with just the Low E 366 or would the tint be beneficial as well? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you think the glare would not be controlled enough with the Low-e 366, I would opt for bronze tint to be safe.

penaddict

#6 Post by penaddict »

Do you think it's a substantial different if the SHG then goes UP two points? That's the difference. with only e366 it's 22 with e366 and tint it becomes 24.
I've never seen a window with the tint and don't know how much glare without the tint it produces.
Just don't want to be overkill here. (not much extra price difference though and don't want to lose anything significant)

Windows on Washington wrote:If you think the glare would not be controlled enough with the Low-e 366, I would opt for bronze tint to be safe.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would theorize that the rise in SHGC is because the darker glass is absorbing more heat.

penaddict

#8 Post by penaddict »

That makes sense WOW.
Is a two point increase significant enough to avoid this option?
We don't want to damage items on mantel or lighten leather couch where sun hits either.
(and by the way, thank you so much for your responsiveness...nice to have input from neutral party professionals)
Windows on Washington wrote:I would theorize that the rise in SHGC is because the darker glass is absorbing more heat.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

2 points is nothing here.

Ask you contractor about what Oberon (on the other board) suggested in the 340 glass too.