Overwhelmed and torn now between Simonton and Sunrise

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
penaddict

Overwhelmed and torn now between Simonton and Sunrise

#1 Post by penaddict »

So I followed some of the forum input here and got several quotes (two for Simonton 5500 double pane and one quote with the Sunrise Restoration triple pane).
We liked what we heard from all of the installers and kind of liked them equally but probably liked Sunrise's features and insulation, etc a bit more. Husband is staying they're just windows.. Ugh...of course the Sunrise was $2000 more.
Simonton for 10 windows (technically 12 as one window will be three and mulled into one) is just shy of $6000
Sunrise is just over $8000.
But again, that's double pane vs triple pane.
Have reviews and referrals as positive for both companies.
Simonton's installer has been great and informative and above and beyond providing us with research and numbers and input.
Sunrise's installer was informative as well, though a little pushy to make a decision on the spot and questioned why we couldn't decide then and there. But I'll chalk it up to being a sales person and wanting to close the deal. Not too bad (used to sales people).

So, if both installers are equal, and we plan on staying in our home for many years to come (probably) (not a high end home by any means in my opinion), is it worth it to spend the extra $2000?

That said, we're not replacing all windows so that means down the road will have to choose this one again and pay more overall.

See why we're torn?

Windows on Washington

Re: Overwhelmed and torn now between Simonton and Sunrise

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not be torn, but I certainly acknowledge that $2,000....is $2,000.

The Sunrise is the slightly better unit and is in triple pane. Couple that with the fact that it is a prettier window and will give you nicer lines, it is a no brainer to me.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I agree with WoW. If you intend to stay in the house long term, go with Sunrise. Over a 20 year period, you're spending just $100.00 per year for a superior window with better performance and a stronger warranty.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

3rd vote for Sunrise here. If it was double pane it would be a more difficult decision, however the better product WITH triple pane is easily worth a premium IMO. $600 and change per unit for that product is a steal btw. Really a no brainer.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe price both windows with same glass options, this would close the gap on price difference some and make your decision easier.

penaddict

#6 Post by penaddict »

After initially being so adamant and favoring the Simonton window, I think we're going to follow your advice here and go with the Sunrise Restoration. It's nice to know the benefit we received from you all and this website.
We may even add an additional window to the list and in the future replace the rest of them with the same at some point.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Good choice in my opinion, especially with the Sunrise being in triple pane. You won't be sorry about going with triple. Many of my customers take the time to thank me later for pushing them towards the triple. The comfort it provides is a plus for sure.

penaddict

#8 Post by penaddict »

Well we decided to take the advice and go above and beyond and replace all windows in the house.

We also decided for the front of the house to do casements with the Single Prairie Grids on the front windows.
We originally had the Colonial Style Grids (which all the homes in our area had) and felt they were becoming dated and we didn't want to be like every house. But we also didn't want nothing there as no decorative grid made it look boring.

So we switched to the casement as I thought vertical (slider) and horizontal (double hung) looked funny or off for the front of the house.

Of course we're going to end up spending more but visually it will look better and casements would provide better insulation and such (for the front of the house).

Oh and we're now replacing the patio door too.

So all in all, about 24 windows, which includes a patio door.

Now we wait....

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good.

Keep us posted with install follow up.