Milgard Tuscany VS PlyGem 200

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pasta1234

Milgard Tuscany VS PlyGem 200

#1 Post by pasta1234 »

Hello,

I trying to decide between the Milgard Tuscany and Plygem 200 series for my home (Los Angeles area, CA) and price wise it seems to be almost a wash.

Features are very similar, the only diffrences i can tell are with the glass breakage warranty, the locking mechanism and window roller types (brass vs plastic).

I have searched the boards here before posting and everything that came up is extremely old, any advice would appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

jeff1995

Re: Milgard Tuscany VS PlyGem 200

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

Ply-Gem 200 series is the middle of the road offering. Milgard Tuscany is their upper end offering in vinyl products. Not a fair comparison. IF the pricing is about equal, I would get more quotes, as I do not see how that is possible. Plygem Premium is as close to the Tuscany that Plygem can offer.
Good luck in your project

marty

#3 Post by marty »

I have new plygem 200 windows: 9 fixed; 5 sash, and 2 sliders. Two of the fixed frames have cracked. One cracked along the upper right mitered corner. Another cracked in a straight line up from the upper right corner. The window installer decided he would prefer to wait and see if they leak, even if it means having to re-do the stucco and drywall later. This is new construction and the windows are about 12 feet above the floor. So, at the moment, I only have the scratch coat on the outside, but the painters are painting the new textured drywall inside today. It seems to me that it will be more expensive to repair everything after the job is finished. Even if there is a lot of work that will have to be done if the windows are replaced or repaired now? Does Plygem have a factory rep who can come to northern California and evaluate what went wrong with my windows and how they can be fixed?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Installing a cracked window is usually not advisable but some of this depends on the application here.

Are these windows new construction...i.e. nailing flanges?

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Installing a window with a cracked frame is a bad decision. Might not have a problem If the crack was in the nail fun only. I would hold up payment till it is addressed.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree that installing a window with a cracked frame is generally not advisable. Cracked sash or even glass are not a huge concern as they can be swapped easily, but a frame requires a full reinstall. If this thing is going to be embedded in stucco and drywall, you would definitely want the swap performed before those items are done... To answer your question, yes, you should have a plygem rep that serves your area (may or may not live local to you), however the installer or builder should really be the point man on getting this done for you.