Install warranty duration

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Beano

Install warranty duration

#1 Post by Beano »

Any guidance on the length of coverage terms for installation warranties (not manufacturers warranties)?

I'm finding in my area they vary from as little as 1 year, to 5 years, to as much as 10 years. I would expect any problems would manifest themselves in the first year but maybe I'm wrong? Certainly a longer term is more comforting to the homeowner. I'm potentially looking at choosing between very competitive pricing with a 1 yr installation warranty compared to about a $2K or more increase but a 5 yr or 10 yr warranty. Everything else being equal (same product, installation/finish practices, established business, good reviews/ratings, etc.) Should I be concerned about having only a 1 yr installation warranty?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Install warranty duration

#2 Post by masterext »

In all honesty, any installation related issues usually manifests itself within 6 months to a year.
A life time labor warranty is great but if you have no install issues within 6 months to a year, you probably never will.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I would agree with the assessment above... That said, it puzzles me why some dealers don't offer longer warranties with that being the case. If nothing else it offers peace of mind, and does give some indication as to how the company will stand behind their service down the road. For me, if there is a problem that pops up even 15 years down the road that is legitimately caused by a defect in workmanship, I'm going to fix it at no charge, regardless of what the warranty is technically speaking. That's where lifetime workmanship comes in for me. If I'm going to do it anyway, I may as well advertise it. :D

One year on workmanship is too short IMO. I'd say minimum 5, preferably 10 or longer. I would pay more for that. One year is a get out of jail free card for that dealer, which is probably why his price is lower.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If anything was done improperly...you are going to know pretty quickly.

This is why we do a lifetime warranty as well. When it is done right, it is right for life.