New construction Silverlines

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oldranch

New construction Silverlines

#1 Post by oldranch »

Hey You Guys,

I've got a new window situation. My son is having a new spec home built ($450K-3000sf.) on the Illinois side of St. Louis. The builder (well known and respected) is using Silverline double-hungs throughout the whole subdivision (Whoa).

In his plan packet the door and window schedule specifies Anderson Silverline windows with a "maximum air infiltration of 0.30". This seems really bad.

While money is always important, I think even a modest upgrade here would be worth it on new construction. We are talking about maybe 20 double hungs with grids, white inside and out.

Can you give us any guidance on what some better mid-grade options might be. Of course I already know what the high grade option is.

Thanks again,
Oldranch with Okna 800DX'S

toddinmn

Re: New construction Silverlines

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Hmmmm, well respected and Silverline don't go hand in hand.
Windows that are readily available are Simonton, go for there upper series (9800,5500, Platinum) even though all there lower ones would serve you better than Silverline, Softlite's lower lines are often available and a good choice, the Pro is pretty good at what it does and the classic and Barrington would work as well, anything Okna,Polaris Ultrawelds, Thermalwelds, Im sure there are more since it won't take much to better, let us know what you find or what is available and we can help more.

oldranch

#3 Post by oldranch »

I should have said seemingly well respected. I'll pass on the manufacturers you've mentioned and ask him to see what the builder will work with, right?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Unfortunately being a reputable contractor and using quality products are sometimes mutually exclusive. Most contractors wouldnt know good building material from a hole in the wall. Thats why, when it comes to windows, a hyper focused window contractor is always the better bet.
Silverline is pure garbage and opitimizes the cheap looking vinyl window everyone is so accostomed to seeing.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Most manufacturers have a line or two that is focused toward new construction. Since you are happy with your Oknas, it might be worthwhile for him to get a price on 5500's. The other lines that Todd mentioned should be available as well.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I agree with Simonton being a decent option for new construction, as they're typically available anywhere in the country, and distributed widely enough that most builders can get them.

oldranch

#7 Post by oldranch »

Do builder's typically balk at putting in a different brand of window? If so, what does my son say to that? He is committed to this builder.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes. They want to keep everything as streamlined as possible. I've seen this go several different ways when I've supplied product on a new build, but ultimately the customer's desires win out one way or the other unless you are dealing with a very high volume builder. May just have to fight a little more in some cases than others, and obviously you will likely pay a premium.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

OKna 5500DX
yep working it out with the builder will be interesting. It can be done sometimes.