GBG - what's the performance impact?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Beano

GBG - what's the performance impact?

#1 Post by Beano »

Just curious - how much impact to performance does GRG (grids between glass) make in a window compared to no grids? I suspect it's negligible but would like to confirm. I'm asking as window ratings are typically based on units without grids as that is the optimal performance setup. But, since my home currently has grids, I'll probably run them top & bottom in the replacements to keep the architectural style intact (leaning toward Okna).

Delaware Mike

Re: GBG - what's the performance impact?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've never seen it change the overall u-factor in reference to the NFRC sticker on a window verses a non-grid window. OKNA seems to do a really nice job with their grids in terms of quality control as that's an area in which all manufacturers encounter some small percentage of misalignment during the manufacturing process of the glass.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

On pretty much all the brands I've carried it's been a .01 difference. An example would be a .26 with GBG grids, a .25 without GBG grids.

Beano

#4 Post by Beano »

Thanks much. That's what I was hoping to hear.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I dont believe okna is affected by adding grids to their double pane units. At least with the 500 and 800 series .

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I've never seen the u factor of an okna window affected by grids. Only vt and shgc for obvious reasons, and only a negligible amount

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have seen a 0.01 delta one time. Can't remember which window, but that would be the largest offset and it is basically negligible.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Eric
I seem to recall the 500 series in triple pane going from a .19 to a .20 with grids.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:Eric
I seem to recall the 500 series in triple pane going from a .19 to a .20 with grids.
Good catch Paul. The double pane is is the same with and without, but the triple pane does change by a point according to the nfrc. Probably not an incredibly common combo, but it's there none the less.