Grid count reduction for less obstructed view?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Beano

Grid count reduction for less obstructed view?

#1 Post by Beano »

Does anyone have any experience with customers, or personal opinions, on reducing the grid count in order to gain a less obstructed view from the inside looking out yet still retain the original architectural intent of the home? Specifically, I have a gang of (approx.) 36W x 37/45/49H windows with 8/8 grids and one each 32/24W x 37H window with 6/6 grids. Would it be tacky to go from 8/8 to 6/6 on those 36 wide units and something less than 6/6 on the 32 and 24 units? My current windows are Andersen Narrowlines with interior snap-in grids which are 1/2" wide. Going with Okna 800DX now and most likely the contoured GBG which are 11/16" wide. The SDL's are sweet but don't think we want to deal with the extra cleaning required. We like the aesthetics of the grid/grid window but were toying with grid (original count)/no grid option we've seen on a few homes. The jury is still out on that option. As an alternative, we talked about maybe reducing the grid count to open up the view from the interior? The property is traditional aluminum sided 1970's two story colonial w brick first floor. No grids is definitely out - too plain. I know it all comes down to personal preference but you all see a ton of homes and I value your thoughts on reduced grid count or grids on top only for us to consider. Thanks much as always.

Windows on Washington

Re: Grid count reduction for less obstructed view?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Go with default patterns per the size is a good general rule.

I prefer no grids to be honest so that would be my vote.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We often change a 36" with 8 lite pattern to a 6 lite. Looks great.
a 32" as a 4 lite will not look as good. That I would keep as a 6 lite.

theWindowNerd.

Beano

#4 Post by Beano »

Just when I thought we were ready to finally place the order, we're grappling with grids! Who'da thunk it?
I removed the lower grids from our existing Narrowlines to see if that was an option. While it definitely opens up the view looking out, not crazy about the effect from the outside. No grids at all just seems "undressed" after so many years with grids.
As far as changing from 8/8 to 6/6 - I think that could work for the taller 36 units, but I don't think it will look proper on the shorter 36 and 32 units. In other words, retaining a portrait orientation of each "lite" still looks normal to me. Changing the count to where it presents a landscape orientation of the lites appears odd. Consequently I'm finding myself going full circle back to the original grid patterns. If we didn't have those few fringe ratio windows we'd probably go with the 6/6 setup. Maybe the fact that new windows will actualy have clear glass (vs 40 yr old, less than clear) will help offset the thicker grids?
I'll be glad ( and my wife too) when we finally settle this decision. It's a long haul choice - just don't want any regrets.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Reducing the grid count is very popular here in Houston, and it looks great IMO. The difficulty comes in keeping everything proportionate, when you have windows of different sizes. I prefer it to the busy look.

Beano

#6 Post by Beano »

I stand corrected. I just checked and the existing 32 window is a 6/6 with landscape oriented grid pattern. Looks OK w landscape oriented lites.

Beano

#7 Post by Beano »

Agreed. Keeping the proportionality is key and I think that's where my struggle is. I think I'll do a simplified layout (CAD) to get a quick visual on those "tweener" sizes to see how they "fit" with the other sizes. That should help steer the decision. Anybody have any pics on:
36 x 37 6/6
32 x 37 6/6
24 x 37 4/4

36 x 45/49 6/6 should be fine.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

You have the correct colonial grid selections. Personally, I don't switch to a 8-lite pattern until the width is 38" or wider.

Beano

#9 Post by Beano »

I opted to pop off the Narrowline grids (interior side, outside the glass) and simulate the reduced grid patterns using standard masking tape. It was actually fairly effective as I had 3/4" tape and the Okna GBGs are 11/16". I'm not sure how much viewable glass loss we'll see with the replacements, but this exercise should close enough. We viewed it from inside and outside the house and we're definitely liking it way better than the 8/8s.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

good job.
I often suggest the tape route