Vinyl Patio Door w/ Built-In Blinds

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Maconi

Vinyl Patio Door w/ Built-In Blinds

#1 Post by Maconi »

I'm in the market for a new back door (patio). My research has lead me to lean towards vinyl to avoid all the issues with wood. At first wanted a double french door but it doesn't seem like that exists in vinyl. So instead I'm now looking at sliding vinyl doors.

One feature my wife seems insistent on is built-in blinds. That had originally lead me to the Pella 350 but I wasn't really impressed with the floor model I saw. After reading this forum it seems a lot of people lean towards Sunrise or Soft-Lite (I've seen Okna mentioned a lot but they don't seem to do the built-in blinds)? Are there any other brands I should be looking at? Any advice other than brands?

I'm in Lexington, KY BTW. Thanks in advance for you replies. 8)

TheWindowNerd

Re: Vinyl Patio Door w/ Built-In Blinds

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna does do the blinds between the glass in their stock sizes, 5' or 6'.
It is a great door built like a tank.
If America's Windows is in your area they would be one to contact.
Tell them theWindowNerd sent you.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to TheWindowNerd's comments.

If Okna is available to you there (I think it is), that is a very solid door.

Maconi

#4 Post by Maconi »

Thanks for the advice all. I'll follow-up with America's Windows and see what they can do for me. I was planning on using Back Construction (anyone have any experience with them?) for some reno work and it seems that they're "Pella Certified" but I see no mention of Okna. I might pass it by them as well and see what they say (if they do Okna or not). Thanks again. 8)

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In vinyl I would stick with Okna or Sunrise.
In clad wood I like the contemporary or french slider designer series by pella. Great door , triple pane with more blind and pleated shade options than anyone. As long as the cladding stays on and the wood dont rot you will be good. At year 9 you need to inspect everything before the 10 year frame and parts warranty is up. I was one of the first certified pella contractors.

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote:... designer series by pella. Great door

[/quote]

...followed by...
TheWindowNerd wrote: As long as the cladding stays on and the wood dont rot you will be good.
:lol:
... Good and honest feedback to be sure, but still funny :mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote: ... Good and honest feedback to be sure, but still funny :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The irony is that the cladding stayed on the door in several of the units I am thinking of. It never came off...but the lower rail of the door sure did.

Maconi

#8 Post by Maconi »

So I had America's Window come out and give us a quote. For the 6ft almond Elegante with every option (intuition handle, extra foam, interior blinds, etc.) they quoted $4000 installed ($5000 final because they have to widen my 5.5ft door frame). They said you can't do a "custom" size with the internal blinds (like TheWindowNerd said).

I've seen the door priced ~$2500 installed online, but that's without options I think (I know the blinds are $1000 extra alone).

ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2641193/okna-patio-door-price

I was able to play with the door at their office. Definitely feels higher quality than the Pella 350 for sure. Will probably be the winner. Thanks for all the advice! 8)

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

You definitely don't want to go with the 5' door with the miniblinds in my experience.

We have done a couple and because of the required bumpstop, it makes for a pretty tight opening indeed so going with the 6' opening is the way to go.

Blinds are a pricey option and when you figure in the framing, that seems within range based on what I see out there.

It is a heavy unit indeed and well built.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. A couple of pricey options like blinds and installation circumstances can drive the price up pretty quickly.
Great door though.

Maconi

#11 Post by Maconi »

Oh and just a note (after noticing this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6438). We were originally going to do a 2-tone door (Almond exterior and White interior) but America's Window said they don't due that anymore due to issues they've had with the paint (I remember they said something about scratching but they didn't give much detail). Just something to keep in mind since the brochure advertises it even though you can't order it.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Mentioned in the other thread, sounds like that is an individual company decision, not based on manufacturer availability. Maybe they got burned by someone that really beat on a door and had issues or something along those lines.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I have done plenty of two tone doors and have not had an issue to day. I was concerned about some of the interface points of the weatherstripping to the paint, but I haven't had a singular issue with the paint finish in these applications yet.

DianaKelly

#14 Post by DianaKelly »

Thank you for ideas towards patio door. It were very informative.

Maconi

#15 Post by Maconi »

Alright so I finally had the Okna door installed by America's Window yesterday. Overall the door is really nice. The only issue we had was during installation. When they were lifting the door to place it into the rough opening the sliding door fell out (it fell straight forward, imagine a tree falling after being cut). It slammed onto my concrete slab pretty hard (floors are removed currently, getting ready to put new down). I was surprised when the glass didn't immediately shatter. It scuffed up the handle and parts of the door but otherwise nothing seemed broken.

My question is, what should I do about the door? We called America's Window and told them about it but they didn't really offer any compensation. Should I be demanding a replacement over a few scuffs (or at least a discount for what is basically b-stock at this point), or could something be internally busted that I can't see? Is there an easy way to repair vinyl scuffs?

(click on the images to make them larger)

Thanks in advance. 8)