Okna Certifications

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LeakyWindows

Okna Certifications

#1 Post by LeakyWindows »

Hello. Is Okna AAMA certified? If not, shouldn't it be?

Thank you for any replies.

HomeSealed

Re: Okna Certifications

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes. Okna is certified by an ANSI certified laboratory (keystone) which is the equivalent to aama. Same standards and requirements. This is a common misconception, as despite the fact that aama helped establish the standards many years ago, today they are nothing more than one choice to meet ANSI certification. ANSI is the actual governing body.

LeakyWindows

#3 Post by LeakyWindows »

Thank you HomeSealed.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Np.
I'd also add that many manufacturers large and small are gold label certified by labs like Keystone, Nami, etc. A couple examples are Plygem and Polaris.... The whole thing is a non issue and a bit disingenuous when used in sales in my personal opinion.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I agree. Both keystone and amaa follow the same guidlines.
Its like getting the exact same math test from 2 different teachers . If you get a 95 on one, you would get a 95 on the other. Its not as if one exam was easier or harder than the other, they are both the same.
Think of the amaa or keystone certification testing in terms of the above math test example.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Agreed. Windows should be tested and certified by an ANSI accredited organization. Whether it’s AAMA or Keystone is irrelevant as they are tested using the same exact protocols in both cases. The only real issue is with windows that are not 3rd party tested.

LeakyWindows

#7 Post by LeakyWindows »

randy wrote:Agreed. Windows should be tested and certified by an ANSI accredited organization. Whether it’s AAMA or Keystone is irrelevant as they are tested using the same exact protocols in both cases. The only real issue is with windows that are not 3rd party tested.

Really - are you saying that AAMA and Keystone do not test the windows themselves? It sounds like the honor system where the manufacturer would have to report how well their product performed (e.g. wind leakage) under specific conditions. Say it ain't so.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

They do test them , they have various testing sites.
I think the above post was regarding not having them tested by amaa or keystone but by some obscure outfit.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

You misunderstood that post leaky. The labs do all test, there is no honor system needed. It's independent, third party certification... I believe the post was referring to the fact that you would only need to worry if a window was NOT certified by an ANSI accredited laboratory. Every reputable manufacturer gets their product certified.

LeakyWindows

#10 Post by LeakyWindows »

masterext wrote:They do test them , they have various testing sites.
I think the above post was regarding not having them tested by amaa or keystone but by some obscure outfit.

Thank you - I get it now.

LeakyWindows

#11 Post by LeakyWindows »

HomeSealed wrote:You misunderstood that post leaky. The labs do all test, there is no honor system needed. It's independent, third party certification... I believe the post was referring to the fact that you would only need to worry if a window was NOT certified by an ANSI accredited laboratory. Every reputable manufacturer gets their product certified.
Thank you HomeSealed!

randy

#12 Post by randy »

Thanks for clarifying guys. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Both AAMA and Keystone do test, and I consider them equal. I would completely avoid manufacturers who don’t have their windows tested by one or the other. Then it gets down to comparing test results from the windows being considered.