How important are the CRF ratings?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Bedeowner

How important are the CRF ratings?

#1 Post by Bedeowner »

As I'm looking at replacement windows, how important is the CRF rating for a window? I can find it on some of the windows I'm looking at but not on others.

HomeSealed

Re: How important are the CRF ratings?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Do you mean CR, as in condensation resistance? If so, the importance depends on your regional location. In colder climates where condensation is an issue, it obviously is more important. In addition, with the new Northern Region Energy Star requiring a .27 or lower U value, many products are utilizing questionable Low e coating applications that severely affect condensation resistance to achieve that. The Cr rating is a good way to tell if that is the case.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to HomeSealed advice.

If you are in a colder climate...it can be absolutely critical in some cases.

Sure fire way to have an irate customer is to go ahead and replace their windows that were not previously sweating (condensation) and put in some new "energy efficient" units that do sweat.

Surface 4 Low-e is pretty cool technology, but I am not using for that concern specifically.

Bedeowner

#4 Post by Bedeowner »

The windows I am looking at are all at a CR rating of 60 or higher with respect to condensation with one exception. The exception is a 51. I live in central North Carolina and so I'm guessing any of the windows at 60 or higher would be acceptable. Does that sound correct?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

60+ is a good number and should adequate for your climate.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Cr's in the 60's are very good for double pane glass. That 51 is almost certainly a surface 4 coating as discussed above. Those typically come in in the upper 40's though low 50's.