Sloped Sill and Weep Holes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LeakyWindows

Sloped Sill and Weep Holes

#1 Post by LeakyWindows »

I like the idea of the sloped sill so that weep holes aren't needed - such as Berkshire Elite (Revere windows). Why don't all manufacturers get rid of weep holes? I think Okna sills have weep holes still.

Delaware Mike

Re: Sloped Sill and Weep Holes

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Why would you think that? OKNA DH's do not have weep holes in the sills for a pocket or irrigation sill system. Sliders do of course.

Many costal DH windows need them and are designed that way. I can't stand pocket sills personally. Some of the products like the BF Rich Cabernets definitely need to be redesigned and brought up to date as pocket sill is a deal breaker.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. As DM stated, none of Okna's double hung windows have weep holes or pocket sills, nor do any of the top products on the market.

You are on the right track though in thinking that they (weep holes) are not desirable.

LeakyWindows

#4 Post by LeakyWindows »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. As DM stated, none of Okna's double hung windows have weep holes or pocket sills, nor do any of the top products on the market.

You are on the right track though in thinking that they (weep holes) are not desirable.
Thanks so much for clarifying!

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pocket sill and weep holes are a huge mistake.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, Okna only has foam in their double hung sills, not a water reservoir.
Isn't it silly that when people are trying to keep moisture off the glass of their windows that many window makers put water reservoirs in the sills of their windows. As soon as the temperature drops near zero the water turns to ice, expands and cracks a big hole in the vinyl sill leading to water leakage and rot in the house framing/drywall. Using gravity to drain water off of a true sloped sill makes much more sense!

LeakyWindows

#7 Post by LeakyWindows »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. As DM stated, none of Okna's double hung windows have weep holes or pocket sills, nor do any of the top products on the market.

I'm now being told that Okna 800 Series have a sloped sill AND weep holes. This info was presented after I took pictures of the homes with Okna windows at addresses they gave me and included a shot of the weep hole. So why does Okna use weep holes?

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

What kind of proof would you like that OKNA does not utilize weep holes in their sills. Have you seen a window sample in person or visited a showroom? We can post pictures if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if WOW even has an engineering schematic diagram.

Did the dealer give you a bad address? Was the job a partial project? The collective amount of OKNA double-hung windows that us Pros on the forums install yearly is probably over 10K units. We all are telling you the correct intel. We haver no reason to state otherwise. It would take a sales rep all of few minutes to snap a smart phone photo of any OKNA DH sill exterior close up and email or message you. You local OKNA dealer should be addressing this if he knows that this is a deal breaker.

Let us know what you need.

LeakyWindows

#9 Post by LeakyWindows »

Delaware Mike wrote:What kind of proof would you like that OKNA does not utilize weep holes in their sills. Have you seen a window sample in person or visited a showroom? We can post pictures if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if WOW even has an engineering schematic diagram.

Did the dealer give you a bad address? Was the job a partial project? The collective amount of OKNA double-hung windows that us Pros on the forums install yearly is probably over 10K units. We all are telling you the correct intel. We haver no reason to state otherwise. It would take a sales rep all of few minutes to snap a smart phone photo of any OKNA DH sill exterior close up and email or message you. You local OKNA dealer should be addressing this if he knows that this is a deal breaker.

Let us know what you need.

Upon my request, Windows On Washington sent me 5 addresses of installed Onka windows - one was the condominiums. I wanted to see how Okna windows looked installed from the outside. I took pictures of all addresses. I liked the condo shots since I could get a close shot. I am happy to email you or anyone else those pictures. It does not seem that this forum allows attachments?

I asked the representative (salesman) about the weep holes, thinking that maybe these were an old model. I sent him the pictures I took of the condo windows. The pictures included a bottom shot of the weep hole. The rep responded, saying that these double hungs were the Okna 800 series that had a sloped sill and weep hole. Said these were not a box sill, which is different.

He said he would bring me a sample of the 500 series so I could see the difference. I will take pictures of that sample when he comes. I am trying to get consistent information about Okna windows.

This representative claims he has been in the business 15 years. He said WoW does have a small show room; so I tried to go to there but the lady who answered the phone said they weren't set up as a showroom and all the windows they had were wrapped up waiting to be installed. They didn't have any samples or anything in color. I understand that may dealers do not have a showroom. Marvin, Pella, Renewal, the expensive windows, have showrooms.

I haven't tried asking the Okna manufacturer directly for information. Once I contacted a different window manufacturer, but they did not respond.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

That is very intriguing. I'm sure WOW will explore this situation and get to the bottom of it. I believe to post pictures one has to link them through a site like Dropbox or Flicker. I have a Dropbox account and have tons of 800 pics from my projects that I can link up tonight when I get in from installing. We are in the middle of a 800dx new construction nailing flange project right now so I can grab some more close ups for you.

LeakyWindows

#11 Post by LeakyWindows »

I figured out how to add photos - These are the Okna windows the WoW says are the 800 Series. It would seem unusual to get a combination of address and three unit numbers wrong.
Attachments
1282 (800x450).jpg
(200.22 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
1278 (800x450).jpg
(166.05 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
1281 (800x450).jpg
(168.82 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Last edited by LeakyWindows on Tue May 17, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeakyWindows

#12 Post by LeakyWindows »

Delaware Mike wrote:That is very intriguing. I'm sure WOW will explore this situation and get to the bottom of it. I believe to post pictures one has to link them through a site like Dropbox or Flicker. I have a Dropbox account and have tons of 800 pics from my projects that I can link up tonight when I get in from installing. We are in the middle of a 800dx new construction nailing flange project right now so I can grab some more close ups for you.

Thanks, I posted the pictures now.

LeakyWindows

#13 Post by LeakyWindows »

I'm assuming that this issue will be resolve somehow. I found on the Okna website: "A one piece sloped sill allows for proper water drainage without leaks." The picture does not seem to show drainage holes.
http://www.oknawindows.com/windows/2012 ... -weld.stml

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am guessing that you are in the complex Haycock road complex in Falls Church?

The slots you are looking at are not "weep holes" in the classic sense that they are for draining the frame. You are looking at the outer edge of the sill/screen track and those are punched for drainage to allow for water to drain off the sill and around the screen track.

All of the drainage on the sill is still handled via gravity and off of a sloped sill.

For any other poster's clarification, this neighborhood does not allow for capping either and that is why the windows don't have the trim wrapped around them.

Feel free to contact me at the office directly or via email with any questions. Thank you.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

Okay, I've viewed the pictures. That's not a weep/irrigation like what we are referring to as a bad design or red flag. That's the weep slot on the outer portion of the sill. This is very common and a completely different design from a pocket sill that allows water to drain out the master frame.

This slot is on the very most edge of the sill and lies under the screen. The bottom screen tract is notched in the edge to allow water to drain out the sloped sill. Water never enters the balance chambers and master sill to irrigate out through exterior weeps with this system. All of my Soft-Lite products have the same slots like the 800 even the LS and Elements.

The area of the sill in that houses these slots never sits into the window pocket or wall cavity. It's sits proud of the master frame and the water would drain out onto the capped sill pitch with a normal retrofit scenario. If OKNA or most window manufacturers were to delete these notches they would haver redesign their whole screen systems to a lesser desirable and functional system.