Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Foam Seal During Installation
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 am 

I have watched videos on replacement window installation and most foam-seal around and inbetween the shims. Videos show that the foam is injected from the inside and again from the outside.

Some of the window representatives say that they foam-seal as routine, while a minority seemed to think it wasn't needed or was unusual. I like the foam-seal process. What is your experience with foam-seal?

The Pella guy says they use a foil-wrap and then foam-seal - but perhaps because he was talking about his aluminum clad wood windows.

Post subject: Re: Foam Seal During Installation
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:13 am 

Foam is a good thing but dont get caught up in watching video's. Some of those video's are actually counter productive as well as overkill and unrealistic.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am 

I’m a firm believer in closed cell foam been applied around the perimeter of new windows. Proper applications of a professional grade closed cell minimally-expanding foam provides an outstanding air and moisture barrier, makes the house a little quieter, and provides support for the caulking which helps prevent cracking.

The installer must know what they’re doing though, or it could become a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm 

randy wrote:
I’m a firm believer in closed cell foam been applied around the perimeter of new windows. Proper applications of a professional grade closed cell minimally-expanding foam provides an outstanding air and moisture barrier, makes the house a little quieter, and provides support for the caulking which helps prevent cracking.

The installer must know what they’re doing though, or it could become a disaster.

Can't add much to that. :D