Pocket v Full Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Pocket v Full Replacement

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

I'll agree with the other pros in that despite the fact that the Okna 800 is a notch better (appropriate comparison would be Softlite Elements), the price spread needs some justification. In looking in more detail at your previous posts, the LS quote is the one that actually worries me a little bit. You have 18 mainframes and full tear out installations. Not sure how many additional options. Even with none, that window with full tear out is priced VERY light with a per unit price in the $500's. Even a smaller, reputable company would likely be higher than that...

Bottom line is this: It does not sound like all things equal between the quotes/companies/

IF things were equal: The 800 would justify a premium IMO, but definitely not as much as you have here.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Here is what I suggest.
Get a contract in writing for review.
Before that make sure you discuss the style, dimensions, and type of finish of the new casing and stools.
Make sure that language is in the contract as well as they are doing " full frame removal down to the existing RO(rough opening).
All the above will tell you if the bid is in fact for full frame replacement.

Also fully vet the contractor: licenses, insurance, etc.

theWindowNerd.

I do not mind you getting a great deal. Just be careful.

gingerysmith

#18 Post by gingerysmith »

I think we are going to go with the soft-lite. From what I can tell, it's everything I want. If for whatever reason something isn't included, i wouldn't have a problem with them increasing the cost (within reason) to get me exactly what i want. I think part of it may be that soft-lite is running a promotion right now, since he told me that normally the super spacer upgrade would have been $900 more instead of the $300 more in the quote.

Thanks for all the input! :)

gingerysmith

#19 Post by gingerysmith »

Well here is the wording in the contract:

Empire Window to completely remove old windows and fully replace them with 13 new Imperial LS thermo-vinyl replacement windows, including the reinstallation of existing interior trim. New windows to have full screens. New window types to be eight double hung, one awning window, one 1 lite casement, one 2 lite casement, and two 3 lite casements.

Front casement windows to have Diamond grids. Half-bath window to have obscure glass and diamond grids. All windows to have super spacer in glass.

New windows are to have Dual Pane Insulated glass with Low E and Argon Gas,
DuPont Kevlar K beam reinforced frame, sash interlock, CFC free Comfort Foam insulation injected frame and sash, 12 point Sturtz robotically welded frame and sash, sill dam with Q-Lon compression gasket, anti-microbial weather strip, Extruded Full Screens, trim line low profile locks, and manufacturers lifetime transferable warranty including glass breakage.

New windows are to be completely installed insulated and sealed.
Outside casings are to be capped as needed.
Job site is to be cleaned up and debris hauled away.

They also provided a cost breakdown per window (Imperial LS white vinyl, the casements have grids):

1 1-lt casement $638
1 awning $684
1 dh $617
7 dh $4536
1 2-lt casement $1081
2 3-lt casement $2738

I have received copies of their insurance, worker's comp, and contractor's license. I didn't do much with those other than make sure the dates are current.

When i asked about the warranty on the work they do, he responded in an e-mail: The installation warranty is lifetime to go with the windows. It covers any fault in the installation, but doesn't cover things like the house settling. We cover labor for 2 years on the Soft-lite warranty repairs, after that it is $75. Whether it takes 1 trip out to fix or 3 or more, $75 covers it. If someone there can do the repairs, then there wouldn't be a charge.

Sorry for the wall of text, I didn't see some of the posts with concerns about the cost differential. So here is all the information i have.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

You mentioned an upgrade to super spacer, you should probably have them detail that in writing as well.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on the contract you are not getting full frame tear out/full frame replacements.
You are getting pocket inserts.
That is some of the difference in the quotes.

As Brando said get the SS upgrade written into the contract.