replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sharon2014

replacement windows

#1 Post by sharon2014 »

Looking to replace 7 windows. Have 2 quotes that vary a lot in price.
1. Sunrise restoration windows, double hung, 35x59. Price $8322

2.Simonton Prism Bronze, double hung, 35x59. Price $2900.

I know Restoration is top of the line and I asked the 2nd company for middle of the road windows. But with the price, I feel that they are basic windows.

I have looked and looked and just don't know what to do. The only other places that I can think of are the big box stores and I don't want to go there.
Thanks for any help and opinions.

HomeSealed

Re: replacement windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

If you are not familiar with other installers in your area, you could also search by quality products. Okna and Softlite Elements are a couple top tier vinyl offerings that are comparable to Sunrise restorations. If you contact those manufacturers they can surely recommend installers in your area... If you feel comfortable sharing your location, the pros here can recommend companies as well if we happen to have referrals.

On pricing, with all of the variables in product options and installation concerns, its hard to say what is a good price without a whole lot of speculation. Best bet is to compare apples to apples products with more quotes... The simonton is not in that same category as you suspected.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As HomeSealed shared pricing with out all the details can not be done.

A typical insert install: wood sash out, white vinyl pocket install, capping, etc. >05 or less AI, u .28 or less. In my market per window a low of $500 a high of $1200 , i would say the average is $650. Local conditions and options have to be considered.

theWindowNerd.

sharon2014

#4 Post by sharon2014 »

I am in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The closest Okna installer is in Cedar Falls, about 70 miles away. Not sure they will come this far.

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

sharon2014

#5 Post by sharon2014 »

I got an estimate on SimontonPrism Platinum Windows. This is from the same place that gave me the quote on the Bronze windows. The new quote is $3300. I asked the Sunrise place for a quote on the middle of the road window and that quote was $7000. Like the warranty on the Sunrise but not sure it is worth $3700. Opinions?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Just going back to my earlier suggestion, I'd get another quote or two. It kind of sounds like you have the hot porridge and the cold porridge, but not the one that is just right.

If these windows are loaded with a Cadillac option package and a complicated installation, I'd say the Sunrise is probably closer to the norm. If they are straight bare bones, white, no exterior trim, not lead safe, etc, the Simonton is probably closer.

sharon2014

#7 Post by sharon2014 »

I looked in the phone book for other window installers. Only other places were Window World (which I was told to stay away from), Ideal window and some siding companies. Also the big box stores but I don't want subcontractors installing the windows. I will try some of the siding companies and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for your help. This is harder and more time consuming than I thought it would be.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

If the details of the install are the same I'd take the Platinum's. It is a solid window, even though the air numbers are not as good it has a stronger sill and glazing beads on the proper side of the window.At 90% more the the Sunrise is not worth it and is more than likely over priced.