Need Advice on best Window Replacement Companies

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CathyChandler

Need Advice on best Window Replacement Companies

#1 Post by CathyChandler »

Hi...writing to ask for advice on who best to contract with in New York State, for replacement windows (preferably casement, as these are currently original wood casement windows that need replacing). We have gotten three estimates, but do not know who will do the best installation job. The estimate prices are quite variant. Also, is it best to get vinyl pocket replacement versus fiberglass, something about better profile, since the former are bulky in nature.

One estimate for 12 windows (grids on front windows only) from an independent (no subcontractors) was around $18,000 (I believe these are called Marvin Infinity; Restorations is fiberglass-reinforced and costs less than Marvins). WW (subcontractors) estimate was around $8,000 (for their own manufactured windows). Another company who makes their own windows called Comfort Windows (no subcontractors) wanted around $9,500 (top windows called Quad are tempered) with all their discounts including saving $500, if contract signed within 24 hours. We have not yet contacted HD, although I know they have Simonton casements and use subs.

We are so confused at this point, I can see why we never sign even though these windows needed to be replaced several years now. We plan to stay in this home at least five more years and as original owners for decades.

I would so much appreciate any advice the pros on this board can give me.
Last edited by CathyChandler on Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 am, edited 5 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Advice on best Window Replacement Companies

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Restorations is a nice unit and Sunrise's casement is really nice, but I am not sure it is that nice.

Have you checked with friends and neighbors who have had windows done?

CathyChandler

#3 Post by CathyChandler »

Windows on Washington wrote:The Restorations is a nice unit and Sunrise's casement is really nice, but I am not sure it is that nice.

Have you checked with friends and neighbors who have had windows done?
Thanks for replying...yes, we have asked friends and family. We were given those company names mentioned in my original post. Getting educated on fiberglass versus vinyl replacements...seems less bulky and better esthetics, although more expensive.

Hope to hear some more from regular posters on this site.

Thank you.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Few comments:

1) Window world does not make their own windows. They have traditionally used Alside/AMI windows, however some locations are utilizing other options like MI. These options are not on the high end of vinyl windows in most cases as far as performance is concerned.

2) The Restorations is a very good window. Obviously the price is higher than the others that you've seen, but the best way to compare that is against another high end unit (which it doesn't sound like you have seen yet)

3) On subs vs employees, this issue is not as cut and dried. The problem comes in with poorly paid subs (or poorly paid employees for that matter) that are often utilized by "bargain" type window companies and box stores. Quality companies that pay top dollar for excellent installations can use employees or subs.

CathyChandler

#5 Post by CathyChandler »

Thank you so much for your very informative post.

What is another high-end unit that you can recommend for us to compare to the estimate we have for Restorations casements (plus two awnings for back of house)?

Also, what are your thoughts on fiberglass or fiberglass-reinforced casements versus vinyl?

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

What a particular window may or may not be reinforced with is important, but a window's Design Pressure number is as important in this case and usually more easily compared.

CathyChandler

#7 Post by CathyChandler »

I made some errors in my original post. The WW quote is around $7,200. The windows sold by independent business are Infinity from Marvin ultrex fiberglass windows at $17,300 (the labor portion of that is around $8,500. We are paralyzed with indecision, with the only definitive being that these old original wood 45-year-old windows need replacing.
We have Pella near us, but have heard that name/quality is coming down in the world of windows. Of course, there is HD around who have Simonton vinyl casement in their mini-showroom, but it is and has been for years, a stationary viewpoint encasement sample, and cannot be opened to view profile of window. :roll: Their pricing consultant likely will not bring a casement demo into the free estimate session at home.