Is a Licensed G.C. Needed for Pocket Replacement Windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
grace2016

Is a Licensed G.C. Needed for Pocket Replacement Windows?

#1 Post by grace2016 »

I was wondering about certifications or licenses that are needed or recommended for window companies. I have found a window company with solid references and has been around for a long time. However, they are not a licensed general contractor. I was wondering if that is a concern. The cost of our project doesn't require a license in our state. Still, I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake going with an unlicensed contractor. They do have liability and workman's comp. All seems well with this company except this issue about the license.

I have talked with five top window companies in our area and only two are licensed G.C.s. I would like to move forward with this company since I like their product and they seem like they clearly know what they are doing, but this license issue does give me some concern.

This is a huge decision and I don't want to blow it. Thank you in advance for your help!

toddinmn

Re: Is a Licensed G.C. Needed for Pocket Replacement Windows?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Does not sound like a problem, make check with attorney general or city?
I would not be licensed if it was not required either.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Generally speaking I would say that it is advisable to work with contractors that are licensed in their field. The caveat is that there are variances from state to state. Here in WI for instance, a company need not be licensed to be a contractor legally, however you must be licensed to pull permits. All credible, reputable companies are licensed as such.... In your location, this might be the exception rather than the rule. Hard say without knowing the exact situation, and even then, knowing what is the norm.

grace2016

#4 Post by grace2016 »

Thank you for your responses. I'm going to look into this some more.